Record DX 5000 dust Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Having read the review of the above extractor and carried out some careful comparison studies, I finally bought one. Performance-wise it seemed to hit all the buttons for the size of my setup.
Additionally, I thought I would be supporting British Workers, especially as the emblazoned stickers on the equipment pronounce "Record power Sheffield- England". When the courier arrived with it, what did I see on the box? Made in China!
The flexible hose isn't 2 metres long! Record say it is when it is fully stretched! Even with my wife pulling one end and me on the other it only reached 1.75metres. But who wants a bar tight fexible going across your workshop.
One of the paper bags on the filters is torn and there is no jubilee clip for the hose onto the machine.
When I rang the technical information office, I was met by an answer machine giving me a different number. I got through to that and a pleasant woman said that she has only been there five weeks and knew nothing about the product but would get someone to ring me tomorrow. I only hope he knows a little more!
I am disappointed in "Record's" support or lack of quality control and based upon the events so far, I am feel as though they have taken my money and run. I usually buy fom Axminster and have had nothing but total satisfaction. Should I have known better?
Would I recommend the extractor?
It does seem to carry out all that it states in the review report.
Would I rely upon Record?
Not by their support so far!
I will keep you posted.

Hi Commodore

I bought a DX4000 from D&M the year before last and it arrived with the inlet flange for the hose broken. D&M arranged for a new one to be sent directly from Record so, while I'd rather it hadn't been broken in the first place, I certainly couldn't complain about the support at that time. It arrived very quickly.

I know what you mean about the hose though. It must be the same one on mine!

Know what you mean about the country of manufacture as well. Sign of the times I suppose! :roll:

Hope you get it sorted out

Hi,
I bought the DX5000 from Screwfix a few months back, and can't find fault with it. I did'nt notice where it was produced, and don't care. Mine did't come with a jubillee clip either, but have not needed one yet as the suction keeps it on. Maybe the hose is'nt 2m long but come on - it's the rolls royce of dust extractors.

I have two Dx4000's. Thats the DX5000 without wall mount or large bag.

It works well.

Judder is wrong however in calling this the Rolls Royce of DC. First because the phase Rolls Royce conjurs up a picture of quality at any price..utter rubbish generalisation and another false phrase.

There are few problems with it.

However, the problems I have found are as follows:-
1) There are no clips to hold the platic rubber tube attachments on..they can easily come off. More time and expense to go buy some big 110mm diameter jubilee clips.
2) The 32mm tube is too short...it needs to be at least 4m to be useful. Record do not sell such an extension except at a very high price as a custom request...and you have to call to find out.
3) Construction is about average. Argueably CAMVAC are better made but there is not much in it.
4) DX4000/5000 is really only able to cope with about half the stuff I want to throw at it and neither are capable of handling tube runs of 25+ feet well...without problems of too little volume of air being sucked through....blast gates help a little here but need to be tight...hence the reason I use two of them. One for Felder and one for the rest of the stuff.
5) Dust collection is fine and goes down to 0.5 microns I think but I still have to use an aircleaner as well. Why can't we buy a single device which will collect both types of dust and which costs less than £3000.
6)Flexible hose from Record is expensive. There are other cheaper sources
7)Noise is a problem and ear defenders are essential.

On balance they were worth the money and have performed well. I would buy again but maybe consider Camvac also.

regards
Alan

Judder,

My apologies to you for being somewhat annoyed and insensitive and using the phrase "utter rubbish generalisation and another false phrase". I did not mean that to be personal. Sorry.

regards
Alan

I've had a DX5000 for a few years now and no quality or performance issues to report. Pulls well with about 40' of ducting. Never had a problem with dust or chips although I never use the smaller hose. That's a job for the shop vac. The DX5000 is noisy but always wear ear defenders anyway.

Noel

PS, Beech, good of you to apologise to Judder, maybe edit your original post? Cheers.

No offence taken, my words are only my opinion, I find it a top quality tool, and has coped well in my use. I honestly havent found the hose staying on a problem, and I wear ear defenders anyway as the extractor is usually drowned out by the P/T.
The RR stuff is for another time. :wink:

Latest posts

Back