Record DML36SH Query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Mahon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

don't know if anyone has this lathe, but I tried setting mine up over the weekend, and ran into a couple of problems - any help greatfully recieved!

1) The leg stand I got with it had been taken off the shop model as there was none in stock, and all I got were the 4 tubelar legs - I am assuming that I need some sort of bracket to attach these legs to the lathe as I can see no other way?

2) the nuts on bothe the headstock and tailstock have a type of split pin arrangement next to the bolthole, which I can only assume is to stop the nut spinning when turining the handle - however, the split pin is far too close to the bolt hole to allow the nut to thread on to the bolt. I can get it to work by taking out the pin - but you need to use a spanner to adjust which is a pain.

If this is not clear I could post a photo

Thanks
Les

Hi les

I am assuming that I need some sort of bracket to attach these legs to the lathe as I can see no other way?

There should be a wedge shaped piece if casting that holds the legs into the ends that support the bed bars... you could always check out Record's site where you might find more info, if in doubt, mail them.

Sorry I can't help with the split pin prob... haven't come across it before :?

Thanks for the reply graham. I spoke to the supplier and he confirmed that there should have been a casting to hold the legs - problem is he now has to find it Grrrr.

Still have no idea what the split pin is for - I suppose the basic question is do other users of DML lathes have to use a spanner to hold the nut on the headstock and tailstock when tightening? Seems a bit pointless since there is a handle on the bolt end!

Les

Now we really have problems! The motor has stopped turning properly. I though I migt be at fault with belt tension etc, but took all the tension off the drive belt and switched it on, and it splutters a couple of revolutions, stops, and spluters another couple of revolutions before I switch off scratching head and uttering a stream of expletives about all and sundry connected with the blesed thing!

Anyone else had problems with Record Motors?

One annoyed Irishman bemoning "Quality" european engineering - Should have just bought a cheap import!

Alf":303wl210 said:
chuckle
May I recommend a </WAG> as well Alf. I'd hate to see your blood pressure creeping to dangerous levels before you receive a reply :wink:

My guess would be capicitor too, but since they proudly stick a big 5 year guarentee sticker on the front and it was worrking for about 4 hours over 5 days - time to test out the customer service.

Les

Excelent - Record power are on easter holidays - the office will open again on 1st April! Of course nothing here is open this weekend, so I will have to fume till at least tuesday.

On the positive side I might get some more pressing work done in the workshop now that I can't be distracted by the newest toy! (Well that is the newest apart from the Delta Scolsaw that appeared yesterday!

Les
:wink: ...Murphy's out there laying down the law

sounds like it's time to prep blanks etc, chill and do some gardening :p

just in case you find some likely saplings... check out
http://www.bodgers.org.uk/ :wink:

Back