Record Disc sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claud1

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a brand new Record disc sander about 8 months ago, cleaned the grease off the disc with white spirit and dried it with a clean cloth but the discs won't stay attached. Can anyone advise me as to what I may be doing wrong. I also bought the Record discs for the sander.

White spirit is the problem, its quite good at removing sticky labels from things so may leave a residue on the disk.
I would thoroughly clean with meths using not the white spirit cloth and give a final wipe over with a fresh cloth/kitchen paper towel with meths then let air dry. Then use a fresh sanding disk (not one you have tried before) and all should be well

Previous post may be right but I’d have said it sounds like a problem with the adhesive on the discs. I have one but use Hermes self adhesive discs from Axminster and they stick ok and I clean the face of the metal disc with white spirit when I change them.

As above I use acetone to clean the residue then fit the Axminster disk my backplate is melamine faced ply

I bought a brand new Record disc sander about 8 months ago, cleaned the grease off the disc with white spirit and dried it with a clean cloth but the discs won't stay attached. Can anyone advise me as to what I may be doing wrong. I also bought the Record discs for the sander.
I have the record 0” disk sander, the discs when they do stick are a real pain to change over. They leave so much residue on the disc you spend longer cleaning the disc than sanding. Far better is to get a 10” hook and loop disk off eBay, stick that to the sander plate and then use hook and loop sanding discs.

When I looked around a few years back for a 10" velcro type backing for my sander I couldn't find anything wider than 2", so used that in strips across the disc, its still holding fine after many changes of sanding disc

I have the record 0” disk sander, the discs when they do stick are a real pain to change over. They leave so much residue on the disc you spend longer cleaning the disc than sanding. Far better is to get a 10” hook and loop disk off eBay, stick that to the sander plate and then use hook and loop sanding discs.

They sell precut velcro and sanding discs, almost any size, too must hassle to do a DIY.
Also never had a problem with sticking and always used white spirit.

Do you have a link or supplier for the precut velcro as I couldn't find any a few years back or now

They sell precut velcro and sanding discs, almost any size, too must hassle to do a DIY.
Also never had a problem with sticking and always used white spirit.

Latest posts

Back