Record Coronet Herald

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Took a trip to Yandles yesterday for some turning blanks and while I was there I had a look at the Coronet Herald. To my eye it looks a nice lathe, does the team have any views on this one?
One of my concerns was that I'd need an extension to change the headstock thread from 33 mm to 1", this would increase the distance of the turning blank from the headstock by and inch or so, do you think this would be a problem?
Yes it would be easier to change my chuck but as I have 6 of them it would seem a shame to get rid of them.

All comments appreciated.

Do any of your chucks have inserts already? I think my record chuck comes with an M33 thread as standard and has an insert to fit the 1" 8tpi on my lathe.
Regards
Tris

I had the Coronet Herald, excellent machine
You need to specify what thread etc
Talk to Record

Yes, I really liked wood turning but just didn't have time to study and do it proper
So I sold it with a lot of chisels/cutters etc to a forum member

Still like doing wood-work; this a m was making ten seat slats for two Adirondack chairs :D

Hi Waka, buying a £10 "exert" may be cheap to buy now, but if you buy the new lathe and later decide that you really don't like the exert, then replacing all 6 chucks will not feel quite so "cheap". The total purchases will have cost £1,820 e.g. £10 + £1,000 + 6 x £135 (later) and you will loose money if you later sell the SK100s.

SK100 T04M is 1" x 8 thread. Record Coronet has M33 x 3.5 that's bigger so with a fixed chuck you have to get an "exert". They are much bigger than you might imagine e.g. they may be described as 1 " x M33 however that's not saying much as they are quite long and heavy too. An "insert" adds very little weight and length because the 1" thread is inside the M33 body.

I don't want to spend your money, however buying just an "exert" and an "insert" for £20 now and evaluating them in-line, together with your current lathe and chuck, might be money saved?

I did have a look at there inserts at Yandles, my c concern was that the work piece would be too far out from the headstock thereby putting some extra load on the bearings.
I guess as an alternative I could contact Axminster and see if the is a possibility of changing the thread on the SK100.
All up in the air at the moment, I guess I shouldn't go browsing.

Waka":2xseeom6 said:
I did have a look at their inserts at Yandles, my concern was that the work piece would be too far out from the headstock thereby putting some extra load on the bearings.
Try downloading the Coronet manual from Record Power’s website: Coronet Herald, Downloads and looking at the headstock drawings. The pulley belt can be changed without knocking out the bearings. That’s not so good if you want good bearing support.

Mark Baker (I have his woodturning book/DVD) did a "review" for Record Power, you can download it directly from the Record Power’s website: Coronet Herald, Description… Magazine Reviews, Woodturning magazine. He said:

"When looking at the headstock, I noted that at the end of the lathe spindle, which runs through a hole in the end of a plate section covering a gap on the headstock casting, there is a handwheel. Look at the picture captioned 'inside the headstock'. This shows that there is no rear bearing at the end of the spindle. There are three bearings in total in the extended cast housing at the front of the headstock. Two are placed at the front of the housing, then there is a gap and then the third is at the rear of the extended housing. This is not a new concept and is used on other makes of lathes, some of which are much larger, with good success to this day".

I think he is putting a positive spin on something that’s not a very good long-term engineered solution and it’s the "formula" used by many of the imported Chinese cheaper (rubbish) lathes. If you factor in the use of an overhang (additional weight) from an "exert", heavy chuck (SK100 or even a SK114) and bigger workpiece, then it's soon going to be "your" problem.

if you look at the versa chuck you can select the backplate to suit the thread on a lathe. You can also buy jaw carriers to suit a number of different manufacturers jaws. So if you already own jaws then changing them on this chuck is easy.
I have just bought one and so far very happy with it. I am using Robert Sorby and Axminster jaws on mine

Waka":uybzvbl9 said:
I could contact Axminster and see if the is a possibility of changing the thread on the SK100
I have an SK100 in need of an M33 thread too.

Perhaps they would do it, if you collected together a few more chuck owners aka "chuckers", for an order of 10+ conversions e.g. making it worth their while?

Back