Record Combination planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which of the Record combination planes came with nickers for crossgrain work?

I presume you meen the groovers as well, so..... The 040 and 043 didn't, the 050, 050A and 405s did, as to the 044 - I'll have to go and look at mine and post again

Scrit

Dave
Many thanks for the tip on the Ebay '50, got it with 90 secs to spare, will go nicely with the spare set of cutters I got last week :)
Regards
martin

You're welcome Martin! I just checked some auctions I was watching and was going to congratulate you on the win.

Can anyone compare the features of the Record 405 and 050? Is either one "better?"

Dave,

I can't talk for the 405, but the 50 is regarded as one of the better and more versatile combo record planes. It comes with 17 blades, various size standard cutters and moulding cutters.

There are two different fence bar lengths supplied, has good blade depth control, and a nicker. The only annoying thing with mine is the metal handle, which gets really cold!

Hi Byron,

Do you know if the 044 cutters will fit the 050? I just won an auction for an 050. :D

No, they're completely different. 044s have a series of parallel grooves milled across the back whilst 050/050A s have a notch at one side, rather like the 405.

Scrit

Back