Record CL3 play on headstock .. I think

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penllysbach

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed today, when turning a very long piece that the seemed to be play on the tail end. I checked the head stock and it does seem there is a little movement there; I can feel it but it is slight. Am assuming that it becomes noticeable with longer pieces. The question is, how to I confirm this is the issue and remedy pls. I have looked at the manual but I'm a visual sort of soul so would prefer to watch a vid ... if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Thank you

Is the headstock spindle loose? You can adjust it by loosening the outer and tightening the inner lock rings, on the bronze bearing.
If you haven't worked out the design the headstock is a bit confusing - the front bearing takes all the radial load and keeps it centred, the back bearing takes all the axial load.

Last edited:
Thank you; will check.
I don't suppose you know if there is an off the shelf eviqualent to Record Power RPSO-100 oil?

Thank you; will check.
I don't suppose you know if there is an off the shelf eviqualent to Record Power RPSO-100 oil?
Don't know - but any old oil will do in the short term. I guess a light engine oil would do - something a bit heavier than 3in1

Last edited:
Don't know - but any old oil will do in the short term. I guess a light engine oil would do - something a bit heavier than 3in1
PS cut away picture here if you scroll along - you can see the lock rings and the tapered bronze bearing
https://www.t4i.com.au/R801
Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 19.59.58.png

Thank you; will check.
I use Sae 30 oil as recommended by one of their agents I brought a eye dropper bottle (Glass) and add 3 drops at the beginning of a session of turning. This prvents over oiling as well as making it easy to apply the oil without getting everything covered, If you get oil spraying out while turning then you have applied too much. After a while you will get use to how much and how often you need to do this.

The adjustment is the nut on the outside and the one on the inside you need to release one before tightening the other only tighten until it just pinches the bearing and then back off a little, you don't need to do anything to the sealed bearing at the other end. Just remember to make sure both are tightened back up before using.

I have had my CL3 from new for 6 years now and only ever had to adjust the bearing once in all that time but I have a feeling I need to do it again now

I use Sae 30 oil as recommended by one of their agents I brought a eye dropper bottle (Glass) and add 3 drops at the beginning of a session of turning. This prvents over oiling as well as making it easy to apply the oil without getting everything covered, If you get oil spraying out while turning then you have applied too much. After a while you will get use to how much and how often you need to do this.

The adjustment is the nut on the outside and the one on the inside you need to release one before tightening the other only tighten until it just pinches the bearing and then back off a little, you don't need to do anything to the sealed bearing at the other end. Just remember to make sure both are tightened back up before using.

I have had my CL3 from new for 6 years now and only ever had to adjust the bearing once in all that time but I have a feeling I need to do it again now
It's a clever design - it would take a phenomenal amount of wear (or lack of oil!) to go beyond the point of being adjustable. I guess the sealed back bearing would go first.
Do other machines use the same design, with the tapered spindle in a bronze bush?

It's a clever design - it would take a phenomenal amount of wear (or lack of oil!) to go beyond the point of being adjustable. I guess the sealed back bearing would go first.
Do other machines use the same design, with the tapered spindle in a bronze bush?
Record no longer use the tapered plain bearing having gone over to sealed for life bearings. The only other lathe I'm aware of that still uses a plain bearing is the VB36. The sealed for life bearings are used on all other lathes.

Really helpful, thank you. I have adjusted but have a plate on at the moment but seems fine. Fingers crossed for the big bits.
Thanks again

Back