Record CL3 motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittonc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to get a Haydock variable speed controller for my RP CL3. My question is, would the stock motor be worth anything? The lathe is new and only had a few hours use. The controller is quite a big outlay so if I can get something back for the stock motor it could justify the cost. of the upgrade

Thanks..

If it is anything special such as a longer shaft than standard then there could be a market for it at a sensible price for someone who has cooked theirs but if it is bog standard metric motor then a scan of ebay will possibly show little potential value mainly due to cost of carriage.
Depending on how practical you are then it might be worth more in the corner of the shed for a project like a disc sander. drum sander etc

Unfortunately it's just a stock motor but the upgrade is almost as much as the lathe cost me. For a beginner it is worth having the variable speed controller? How often would I need to change speeds on a 5 speed lathe?

If it just a standard motor the pick up a s/h three phase motor and an inverter and diy for not much money. Purveyors of all in one kits tend to be a very expensive approach.
As to whether you need it, why on earth are you even considering it before you’ve done enough turning to decide for yourself it would be useful??

I'm just basing it on the number of videos I have watched where speed seems to be constantly adjusted from the initial turning to sealing and finishing. It would seem to be much more hassle doing this constantly by changing the belt on the pulley rather than turning a knob.

I bought my CL3 36x30 in 2000 and I've turned hundreds of pieces on it. I may move the belt pully once during a spindle turning and twice for face turning if at all. It will depend on the size/roughness and balance of the piece. Variable speed would be nice and convenient but it is certainly not worth the outlay for me to upgrade even a twenty-one year lathe. Changing the belt takes seconds especially if you replace the screw (if they are still made that way) that holds the pully cover down, with an earth magnet. I agree with Myfordman. Try and get more experience and see if it becomes important to you upgrade the motor or even the whole lathe.

I have the same CL3 lathe and learning to turn on it. I haven’t found changing the belt to be any issue at all, as kinverkid says, only needs changing a few times during a turn. Low at the beginning when out of balance, higher once balanced and then down again for sanding. I did swap the Allan key on the belt cover to a star knob though.

A variable speed would be nice but turners managed for years without them and often only 3 speeds, I‘d rather spend the money or some additional chuck / jaws…

I've got one of the old Coronet CL3 (blue), 5 speed version and have used it for the last 8 years, changing the belt position just becomes second nature. Variable speed might be nice, but as RichardG says, there's a lot of other bits you could buy with the money a VS upgrade will cost.

I've got an old Coronet 1 (green) with three speeds. I'm not a "woodturner" but I have used it for the last nine months whenever I've needed something round. Works fine for me and I've not felt any lack of variable speed control. My suggestion would be to use the lathe more and see how you get on. Youtube videos are a bit of a minefield as you can never be sure if what you're watching is good or bad. I learned most of what I know (not a lot, granted) from a book, the often-recommended Keith Rowley's "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" At least that had some editing and presumably peer review before it was published.

Pete

I've just have my Axminster head converted by Haydock. I was looking at flogging the parts no longer used - motor, nvr, pulletys , belt, shroud etc.. But decided against it, as not really worth much and I can still re-install if the conversion goes pear-shaped.

Back