Record CL3 jacobs chuck into tailstock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penllysbach

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all
I have my wonderful new (to me) CL3 but would like to use a jacob's chuck to drill into a bowl (just to try it out and start it off) but cannot, for the life of me, find info on how to take the revolving centre from the tailstock. Have checked the manual but no joy. I know I can do this with my Clarke lathe so am assuming likewise.
Thanks in advance

If it's anything like the CL1 the tailstock is hollow. So if it's the same then a steel rod down the hollow and a sharp tap should shift it. Or the method I normally use is to put the chuck key in the chuck and tap it as if yoiu are screwing the chuck on to the arbour and that should also shift it.

Yes. A rod through the bore of the tailstock. If you have a steel stockist nearby you might be able to a buy a small cast iron ball, drill it and epoxy it to a piece of round bar to make a cheap knock out. It just gives enough weight not to need a hammer or mallet. I made mine for two or three quid.

When your taper in the tailstock is clean & dry you should only need to hold the knockout bar between the fingers to apply enough force to remove the centre. Same applies to the headstock if it is hollow.

When my CL3 was new - about 35 years ago - it came with a push-rod to remove the tail stock. It wasn't too clever, a bit short and light-weight and I replaced it with a longer, heavier 5/16 inch diameter bar now fitted with a wooden handle. The hole through is about 3/8 inch dia.

As Phil and Robbo said your rod should have enough heft in itself to get a normal tail stock out without a struggle. Belt it too hard and you'll be shoveling shavings looking for it!

The tail lodge is a No: 2 Morse taper. DON'T oil it! just keep it and its mating taper stock clean and dry; again, don't belt it in.......the only insertion pressure needed is what's required from a hand-shove. You may need a harder tap with a Jacobs chuck to overcome the resistance of your drill on the work. It's best to start small and work gradually larger instead of going in with a big drill.

If you move on later to a hollow tail stock, always ensure that your rod will connect and span the hole in the tail-stock without damage.

Good luck

Last edited:
Back