Record CL3 - how to change chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penllysbach

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all
I have purchased a 2nd hand CL3, but cannot for the life of me find info on how to change the chuck. I want to use a mounting plate ... any links or help pls?
Thanks

If you remove the cover to the belt change compartment there is a couples of flats on the shaft for a spanner then place a piece of wood in the chuck jaws to undo it

With metal to metal contact these can get very tight , When you get it of cut out a plastic washer from a old milk bottle and fit that between the 2 , will help

You don't say if the chuck is a screw-on type or fitted internally in the shaft with a Morse-taper.........

A large spanner on the flats as suggested will immobilise the shaft, but the next step depends on the type of union - screw-on or jam fit.

When the headstock shaft is immobilized don't use the chuck key to remove the chuck. Open the jaws and use a bar across them as a lever.

Last time I used my chuck without a washer (it had fallen on the floor) it jammed on. I put a two foot bar in the jaws and just managed to crack it off, bending a 9mm steel bar through the spindle. I don't use the chuck without a washer now.:LOL:

Back