Record CL3 bearing wear / lubrication

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
I'm using an old blue variant of the the Record CL3 twin bar lathe which has a tapered bronze adjustable bearing. I put a few drops of oil down the lubrication hole every time I start turning and again after a break, e.g. lunch. I'm finding that the bearing has play (I can feel it if I rock the chuck) and needs adjusting every week. Is this a normal rate of wear? I'm using the oil that came with the lathe so a I'm presuming it's the correct stuff?

It's a really sturdy bearing and shouldn't need adjusting very often at all. Is it loose? - there are two lock rings one at each end of the bronze bush, both need turning to adjust.
Maybe the other sealed bearing is going at the outboard end? You'd expect to hear it graunching if it was.

It's a really sturdy bearing and shouldn't need adjusting very often at all. Is it loose? - there are two lock rings one at each end of the bronze bush.
Maybe the other bearing is going at the outboard end?
I replaced the bearing at the other end when I got the lathe about 2 years ago so it should be OK, it's certainly quiet unlike the one that was originally fitted.

I have been adjusting both locking rings, I tend to use a brass drift to knock the front ring a tiny bit to loosen and then use the drift to tighten up the back ring to make it tight again, check the play and repeat until the play has been removed and the spindle still spins freely.

I replaced the bearing at the other end when I got the lathe about 2 years ago so it should be OK, it's certainly quiet unlike the one that was originally fitted.

I have been adjusting both locking rings, I tend to use a brass drift to knock the front ring a tiny bit to loosen and then use the drift to tighten up the back ring to make it tight again, check the play and repeat until the play has been removed and the spindle still spins freely.
The spindle and bush have large surface areas rubbing together - if it's actually wearing out that fast you'd expect to notice it heating up quite steeply.
Maybe the spindle isn't fully housed in the outboard bearing and every time you adjust it just pushes it a bit further?
PS if that is the case then after a few more adjustments you might have driven it home into the outboard sealed thrust bearing and solved the prob.

Last edited:
The spindle and bush have large surface areas rubbing together - if it's actually wearing out that fast you'd expect to notice it heating up quite steeply.
Maybe the spindle isn't fully housed in the outboard bearing and every time you adjust it just pushes it a bit further?
PS if that is the case then after a few more adjustments you might have driven it home into the outboard sealed thrust bearing and solved the prob.
I think I see what you’re saying, so perhaps the tapered bronze bearing may not yet be fully seated against the spindle. I’ll double check that this afternoon.

I think I see what you’re saying, so perhaps the tapered bronze bearing may not yet be fully seated against the spindle. I’ll double check that this afternoon.
No I meant the other end of the spindle may not be located tight up to the thrust bearing.
Just guessing, it's a long time since I fiddled with one and I only took the spindle and bearings out once, but could the pulley block be slightly out and stopping the spindle from being located in the thrust bearing, it just slipping through every time you re adjust?

Last edited:
I had to replace a belt on one of these and had to dismantle the Bush and spindle. if its still rattling just take it apart suss it new belt clean and adjust it. add oil.

I had a machine with that kinda bearing.....
I fitted an adjustable oil dripper to it...much better idea.....

Once ur's is adjusted, providing it's OK they hardley ever need to be touched....
but I have seen em all scored up and useless because of lack of oil....

I spent a bit of time on it today, for info here's a cut through diagram. Note the bronze bearing is incorrectly pointed too, red arrow corrects.
D4F2C24E-0249-4AA2-B158-F975F32AF77D.jpeg

So I confirmed the spindle is snug against the rear bearing. Removed the locking rings slid the bronze bearing back and forward and ensured it was snug against the front spindle taper, then tightened the locking rings. This locked the spindle so backed off until it turned smoothly. I also pumped some oil through to make sure it was well lubricated. However, I think it was OK before as everything is back in exactly the same place.

I had a machine with that kinda bearing.....
I fitted an adjustable oil dripper to it...much better idea.....

Once ur's is adjusted, providing it's OK they hardley ever need to be touched....
but I have seen em all scored up and useless because of lack of oil....

That had crossed my mind as well, will be interested if anyone has had issues and fitted one. The bearing was all smooth and good when I took the spindle out to change the rear bearing but if it keeps wearing I'll take it apart again to check.

I can't remember the last time my lathe needed adjusting 2 or three drops of oil before a turning session. I have adjusted it twice since I have had it and that was 2009. So it should not need adjusting as much as you stated unless there is a major problem

I can't remember the last time my lathe needed adjusting 2 or three drops of oil before a turning session. I have adjusted it twice since I have had it and that was 2009. So it should not need adjusting as much as you stated unless there is a major problem
Mine ditto, didn't have it that long though.
I reckon either the spindle was not pressed home in the back bearing, or the bearing itself was not pressed home into the casing, or both.
Then each time the bush was adjusted it would be followed by realignment at the other end, after a bit of use.
I do recall the back bearing being a tight fit, difficult to remove/replace.

Last edited:
For info this is Records FAQ on bearing lubrication.

My CL3 lathe leaks an abnormal amount of oil out of the inside of the head stock from the bronze bearing. For each drop i put in the oil well one drop will simply come out the back. I am using 30w oil so l don't believe the viscosity of the oil is the issue. I have tightened and adjusted the bearing as the instructions said, but it still leaks far too much.

This is a common question we receive. 99 times out of 100 it is the amount of oil put in to the bearing that is the problem and causes it to leak out . You do not need to fill it up. You only require one or two drops every half hour of turning and you will always get a little oil going inside the headstock as it has to leave the bearing somewhere.

Back