Record CL3 36 x 30 manual + stand advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
I've just been given the above lathe, it's a blue model and I suspect it's from the 1990s. It's all in bits and there's no stand. There are also other bits such as callipers, tools, a 4 jaw self centering chuck, looks like centres, metal rings....Sadly some bits are rusted but it doesn't look too bad.

This is my first woodworking lathe so I'm not 100% sure what all the bits are for yet or if there is anything missing. So my first request is whether anyone can help with an original manual and ideally with parts list so I can confirm the lathe is complete and ensure I assemble it correctly. It looks very similar to the current CL3 that record still sells so is that a good starting point?

My second request is for stand ideas from anyone who has or has used this style of lathe. With the round steel bars as the bed rather than cast iron and I wondered whether the stand needed to be stronger to stop any twisting. The original owner, sadly no longer with us, had mounted it on two solid concrete block towers 500x500mm each which makes me wonder if he found this was needed?

I see lots off tinkering ahead...

You are not exactly local to me but I have a RP lathe stand for sale if you are interested. Made for the machine, built like a tank, very good condition.

You can get all sorts of manuals on the RP website. If you can't find the one you want on their list then just drop them a message and they will be happy to send you one.

make a heavy bench the fill the bottom with cast iron junk......
should be enough left room for a couple of drawers...
one old guy I got to know in France.....his was mounted on a pour'd concrete block.....
bit over the top but as he says it don't vibrate any more....nutter....hahaha....

Thanks for the responses.

The manual looks a better fit than the current cl3 version record has. I have raised a technical request with RP to see if they can supply an older paper version.

Steve, have started a conversation with you about the stand....hopefully it worked?

Richard

Tops marks for Record Power, I now have a pdf copy of the correct manual.

I’ve just started to think about making a stand, I have some 200mm x 50mm oak sleeper offcuts left over from raised beds which will form the bed and hopefully legs as well. In the record manual they state how important it is to have the legs at 5 degree angle to stop vibration and a minimum of 100mm square. They claim that vertical legs act as a trampoline, any vibrations heading down the legs get reflected from the floor straight back up to the lathe. This seems to make sense but never thought of this before, always thought the splayed legs were for stability only. Is this sound advice?

Looks like I’ll be effectively making a large saw horse!

Having the legs at a slight angle helps turn them into dampers as the reflected vibration sort of zig zags back up and is absorbed by the materiel rather than just directed straight back up. Also look at putting pieces of something like yoga mat under the legs as shock absorbers.

I try to keep my eyes above the belt blister above the belt :D

Just over 2 years ago I built my first and only lathe stand from 2x4 CLS, plenty of it, 10mm through bolts to hold things togetrher, and incorporated 2 shelves. Dead simple. On the lower one I store my less frequently used heavy boxed tools - SDS drill kit, socket sets, stuff like that so there is plenty of mass. It's built in the style of a saw horse, splayed legs at each end. The main longitudinal part of the bench is barely wider than the lathe bed so its easy to get close to the centre line for bowl turning. Probably cost me less than £25, bit more these days.

Advantage of building your own, you can get the height as you want it, you can make it fit the space you have, and its not 'precious' so if you want a bracket for a lamp or a holder for the chuck key you just screw it on. Plus if you decide its not what you want after a few months you have some CLS for other jobs or a maybe a lot of kindling for the fire next winter. If I had a proper big heavy professional lathe it would be a different matter.

After owning a lathe on a stand with steel legs I came to the conclusion that it is better (certainly for me with limited space) to build a rigid wood storage cupboard and mount the lathe on that.

If fitted with a draw or two provides a place to put infrequently used woodturning items which seem to multiply over time - chucks, chuck jaws, gouges, callipers, centres, finishes (wax, lacquer etc). Clean up is easier - no need to sweep or vacuum around/between legs.

Back