Record BS350 bandsaw tensioner locking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister S

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope somebody more knowledgeable than me can help me out.

The tensioner on my Record BS350 bandsaw works fine, but I can't see a way to lock it in position when it's been set. There is a picture in the manual that shows a nut to use, but my rod is set up differently to the picture. In fact it has more parts than the exploded parts diagram in the manual! It has an extra washer and an alloy tube over the threaded rod.

Can any one see a way to lock it in position? Or any BS350 owners who can say how theirs is set up? There are a few photos below to show how mine is set up.

I probably should be able to work it out, but I can't see the wood for the trees.

All advice gratefully received!

Thanks
Steve

P1020335_edited-1.jpg

P1020338_edited-1.jpg

P1020339_edited-1.jpg

Attachments

• P1020335_edited-1.jpg
    P1020335_edited-1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 155
  • P1020338_edited-1.jpg
    P1020338_edited-1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 154
  • P1020339_edited-1.jpg
    P1020339_edited-1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 155
Hi Steve, I have a BS350 but I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. I set the tension using the knob on the top and then tension on/off with the lever at the back.

I can tension using the knob on top, and use the lever at the back for the quick release, just like you. Looking at the manual, it says that before you use the knob on top, you should undo a locking nut on the tensioning spindle, and tighten it up again after you have finished. But on mine there is no nut where it is shown in the manual.

Do you loosen/tighten a nut on the spindle (behind the upper wheel) when you adjust the tension?

Steve

My manual (BS350S) doesn't mention any locknuts. It only mentions the knob on the top. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if mine is the same as your pictures.

Schultzy

Progress! I think I have worked out at least part of the puzzle.

My manual shows a locknut and instructions for how to use it when tensioning (step 8 in the photo below, but it's a bit hard to see). But there is no locknut in the exploded parts diagram! Also, when I check the latest version of the manual online at Record's website, there are no instructions about using a locknut, nor is it in the latest parts list.

Maybe my manual was out of date when it was shipped with the machine. Perhaps the locknut was deleted, but the manual not updated to reflect this.

Here is my manual.

P1020340_edited-1.jpg

I think also the two nuts that are on the spindle, locked together, are to stop the whole spindle, spring as well, from dropping into the casing if ever the plastic handle on the top is removed.

It looks like I have been doing right for the last few years, in spite of what my manual tells me!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Steve

Attachments

• P1020340_edited-1.jpg
    P1020340_edited-1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 106
Back