Record BS300E Upgrades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodpig

Established Member
Reaction score
I found a manual online for an earlier version of the 300E and noticed that the rip fence mounting now has one part less than it used to have! I've found adjusting or removing the fence to be a real PITA so decided to make something similar to the "missing" part :D So much easier to use now. It's the grey block in the picture with the two handwheels.

IMGP1351.jpg

The table insert supplied is too thin for the table and does'nt support the work as well as it could, also the slot is rather wide so I made a new one from a plastic off cut, all I had in 5mm thick material was clear Polycarbonate but it works good.

IMGP1350.jpg

Very tidy work - a bit of a tool-maker I'd say. The Record bandsaws are very good I think, but are obviously made to the price. My 500 needs allen keys for changing the fence, and most blade guide adjustments. But they are good where it matters I think - great motors, good table, good frame etc.
Nicely tweaked though, well done.

condeesteso":v8ynh710 said:
Very tidy work - a bit of a tool-maker I'd say.

It helps having a milling machine :D

Yeah, there are lots of things to like, such as cast iron wheels and great table finish. Stuff to be improved if you have the tools and time though. Next up is blade tension mech I think ...

This is upgrade number three. Tensioning the blade was extremely difficult with the supplied setup, ridiculously so. I put copperslip grease on all the existing threaded parts and placed a standard bearing between the handle and the bracket and this did improve things a bit. I decided though to buy a proper thrust bearing from Arceuro (around £3) and made up a crank handle (you can get these for about £7 if you look around) to fit. All new parts fitted and blade tensioning is now quick and very much easier!

Picture shows new crank handle and bearing below original handle and shaft.

IMGP1352.jpg

Not that happy with the wheel dolly I made for my BS300E. It works but I'm wondering what the proper Record one is like? anyone care to share their thoughts. It's a bit pricey for what it is but if it works well I may splash out!

I have just got a dolly for my BS400 frankly it is rubbish there is too much slop on the axle and so when you switch the machine on 2 or 3mm of slop translates to massive sway at working height. I will be removing it and returning to the standard after market machine base

woodpig":2eue8ckc said:
Not that happy with the wheel dolly I made for my BS300E. It works but I'm wondering what the proper Record one is like? anyone care to share their thoughts. It's a bit pricey for what it is but if it works well I may splash out!

If you mean the wheel kit:

BS300A Wheel Kit for BS300

it works very well, solid when down, trundles about in the up position. I replaced the castors on mine with better quality ones, but it's not essential.

Phil

Yes, it's the BS300A I was thinking of. Would not have to expect to fit new castors though on something that costs £60. I think I may try fitting some castors I have directly to the base somehow and see how that works.

Another quick "upgrade". The fence rail is only about 14" long and in the standard position you can't move the fence all the way back. I will at some point buy a 24" piece of steel rod to make a longer rail but in the meantime I've drilled and tapped a couple more holes in the existing one so I have a choice of positions.

d5487f483dd563d40c32bcfe2db78769_zpsf0e8573b.jpg

I can now move the fence right to the back or even off the table.

813cde34edebc45b9a8046ebd07eb4e8_zpsc599c19a.jpg

woodpig":psccx2fk said:
This is upgrade number three. Tensioning the blade was extremely difficult with the supplied setup, ridiculously so. I put copperslip grease on all the existing threaded parts and placed a standard bearing between the handle and the bracket and this did improve things a bit. I decided though to buy a proper thrust bearing from Arceuro (around £3) and made up a crank handle (you can get these for about £7 if you look around) to fit. All new parts fitted and blade tensioning is now quick and very much easier!

Picture shows new crank handle and bearing below original handle and shaft.

IMGP1352.jpg
You are not wrong about the blade tensioning i have the same model and it is a pain to set. (hammer)
Jim

I wouldn't want to give the impression that I'm unhappy with the machine but it doesn't take much to improve it.
I think someone at Record needs to try this modification and see how much easier it makes blade changing and adjustment. The crank needn't cost any more than the knob and the bearing would only add about £1 to the cost of the machine. Just my two penneth. :D

Another upgrade, new blade guide. The old large, rather noisy one in the background.

IMGP3933_zps2a268131.jpg

IMGP3993_zpsskls9w6a.jpg

I know what you mean. The original unit is cast in several pieces then machined and assembled. My guide block could be made from extruded alloy and then simply cut and drilled. The other parts are simple turnings. It's more compact and quieter than the original. I didn't want to push my luck with the design but I probably could have increased the cutting capacity by about 10mm but as it is it's the same as the original.

Latest posts

Back