Record BS300E Upgrades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Malcolm. When I get a chance I may have a go at making a simplified version of the single bearing guide. If it works out I may make a few available for others in strictly limited numbers provided the bearing holds up.

woodpig":24qjuc2w said:
Not that happy with the wheel dolly I made for my BS300E. It works but I'm wondering what the proper Record one is like? anyone care to share their thoughts. It's a bit pricey for what it is but if it works well I may splash out!

Just come across this very interesting thread. My 300e came with the standard 2 wheel tilting stand - not good so, I knocked this together one afternoon using off- cuts. Stuck to the original wheel base for stability and it wheels around with ease and stows spare blades etc. Could be prettier but it works.

Question - I have bought a few blades from Tuffsaws but am wondering what is the smallest which can be used with the standard guides. Anyone using smaller than 1/4"?

GrahamF":12p84et6 said:
Just come across this very interesting thread. My 300e came with the standard 2 wheel tilting stand - not good so, I knocked this together one afternoon using off- cuts. Stuck to the original wheel base for stability and it wheels around with ease and stows spare blades etc. Could be prettier but it works.
Nice work. I replaced my (non-E) BS300 stand with a pine/plywood 2 drawer cabinet of a broadly similar design to one on Matthias Wandel's site. I don't think I ever posted any pictures on the forum, but it's such an improvement - instead of a dead space that gets covered in dust, you get a useful amount of storage, and something that's obviously much easier to clean.

I'd strongly recommend anyone with a similar saw to just make the simplest box they can (with some locking castors) and either fit drawers or a kitchen style door - much easier to move around, and much more useful & practical than the standard metal stands.

GrahamF":12p84et6 said:
Question - I have bought a few blades from Tuffsaws but am wondering what is the smallest which can be used with the standard guides. Anyone using smaller than 1/4"?
Don't think I've ever used anything smaller than 1/4", but what does your manual say?

As long as you can keep the side guides behind the blade kerf it should work I'd guess.

That looks great Graham, nice job! I hang my blades on the wall but in a drawer would be much better. Thanks for showing.

With the standard guides the smallest is 1/4" in the book. I know that at least one person has tried smaller with the blade often slipping off the wheel and Steve Maskery uses a 1/16" with a couple of disks stuck to the guides.

There is a guide that can use a 1/4" or less blade and it is supported just on a top guide with the back of the blade running in a groove in the bearing wheel. That is a Carter Stabilizer and can be seen on Alex Snodgrass's video here ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU . A few members have these including myself, but they are fairly expensive to get them from the USA, as they are not available here..... unless you are cleaver enough to be able to make one like Vic has.......... look at an earlier part of this thread

Alex

Alex, thanks for the post and link, an informative and entertaining video. I've only just purchased the 300e and having set it up am very happy with its performance so far, have been re-sawing some 150mm x 25mm sapele with reasonable success - any errors are mine, not the saw's.

I fancy having a go at band saw boxes hence the question as it appears the 1/4" blade is too big. May try a 3/16" and see if it works, if not will have to look at getting one of the Carter guides - hopefully they will know which one will fit.

Graham.

Hi Graham and welcome to the Forum.

Don't be put off by the 1/4" and 3/16" blades as they do a great job for bandsaw boxes and I used just them to make my boxes for some time before I bought the Carter stabilizer. One of the best box makers in the States always uses a 3/16" blade and does a remarkable job cutting tiny boxes that are really superb.

The Carter Stabilizer gets a little tighter curves, but it is really the skills you learn as you progress and most people manage without one, but don't forget, that when using a 1/8" blade, that's only for small cuts and you need to change the guides and blade when cutting bigger material. The overall cost would be more than £100 by the time shipping and taxes are paid, so I would recommend you use the smaller blades first and preferable the ones made by Tuffsaw, as they do make a difference. If I can help in any way, just give a shout.

Alex

Dear Woodpig, i'm very interested in the bearings you have mentioned in your post. Is there any chance you have another set for sale?

Regards

Sadly it takes me too long to make these to consider selling them, sorry.

woodpig":m37rub6h said:
Sadly it takes me too long to make these to consider selling them, sorry.
I suspected that'd be the case, but tell you what - if you were prepared to spend some time making a reasonable set of plans for it in Sketchup I'd probably buy a copy.

I've been asked for a few more details about the single bearing guide I made for the BS300 so here is a picture of it apart.

IMGP4275_zpsbalslrun.jpg

The body was cut from a price of 1 1/4" square alloy bar and after squaring up on the mill has ended up about 52mm high and about 31.5mm square. The bearing is a snap ring type 22mm OD, 8mm ID and 7mm thick. The shaft the bearing runs on is a piece of 10mm dia silver steel about 48mm long turned down to 8mm for the bearing and then had a M8 thread cut on the end for the retaining nut. The step on the other end just aids in gripping the shaft for adjustment. The clamping screw for it can be seen below the main mounting shaft hole in the picture. The off set groove in the bearing makes no difference to the operation of the guide but someone did find some bearings with a central groove, I'll post a link if I can find it. I hope this helps.

this available ...say simplybearings..
6082RSNR Deep Groove Bearing with Snap Ring 8x22x7mm
Part No: 608-2RSNR-MB
Brand: Major Brand
Quantity: 1
Price each: £5.89
Availability: Stock

Thanks for the pics by the way...

Alex

Wonder if you can help, I am looking for a bearing to make my own stabiliser and just wondered how deep and wide the grove is in the Carter model?

Mike

Just a thought, if you move the standard upper blade bearings back and then towards each other until they touch, bringing then forward again giving the blade a bit of a push, they may work like the Carter stabiliser as they have a rounded edge, may have to give them a bit of dressing to increase the notch, but its a thought.

Mike

MikeJhn":1ms9muns said:
Alex

Wonder if you can help, I am looking for a bearing to make my own stabiliser and just wondered how deep and wide the grove is in the Carter model?

Mike

Send him a PM Mike. :wink:

Back