Record BS300E Upgrades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodpig":20cgvth4 said:
I made it Malcolm, build log here:

can-you-guess-t86079.html

That's really brilliant of you. I have been abroad for the last couple of weeks, but remember we talked about this and you obviously have the skills to produce it. The next step would be to replicate the single top guide for a 1/8" blade, like the Carter Stabilizer. The one I bought works very well indeed and it's not a problem switching from the Record top guides to the Carter guide & visa-versa. If you were a little nearer I would love to take a look at what you have done.

Cheers for now.

I do intend to make the single bearing top guide, it would be very much easier to make. The only problem I have at the moment is getting a suitable bearing. They do make a 22 x 8 x 7mm with a snap ring groove that should do the job but I can't find any in stock.

No sure what sizes they make, but Carter Engineering are very helpful if you e-mail them. You may be able to buy just the mounted, grooved bearing on a shaft to fit. Or on another shaft that you could adapt for your block. The Web site will show you the various Stabilizers they presently sell.

I've had another look and just ordered a 608-2RSNR from simply bearings. Shouldn't take too long to make a holder when I can find the time!

Please keep us all advised of progress, together with full details and photos. You may set a new project for the members, or could possibly patent the design and make a pile of dosh or peanuts.

+1

That bearing guide is very impressive. Sadly I don't have the metalworking machinery (or the skill) to copy the idea.

The bearing arrived today and I've checked to see that my fine blade fits in the slot and it's fine. The slot is not that deep though so hopefully the "prescribed" pre-load on these type of guides will keep the blade in place. Busy tomorrow but will start the guide block as soon as I can.

Sounds good. Don't put too much loading on the blade from just touching when it is in place, as this could affect the weld with too much pressure. It only needs enough to hold in place, so the instructions of about 1/8" are about right, possibly 1/4".

Once you have put the blade under load, then be sure to re-centre the blade on the top wheel, as the pressure would have moved it forward and out of line.

Awaiting the results and presumably you have already ordered your 1/8" blade from Tuffsaw?.

I bought a 3/16" blade from Ian ages ago, seems very small to me. Not sure I'd like to go as far as 1/8"!

Managed some time in the workshop tonight. This is as far as I've got.

90c3ae67ca4f8bfb5cbcb566f4418495_zps41f73e2e.jpg

I'll have a choice over which way round the bearing goes but it'll be adjustable anyway.

Busy tomorrow so not sure when I can start on it again.

Wow! Not seen this thread for a while but your 300 must be the best on the planet now!. Very nice work, and admirable patience.
One thing I found on my 500 was the wheel balance was a little off. I passed it on a while ago and got an old green Startrite 352 - but if your wheels are well balanced this must run like a sewing machine now? (Sweet and silky I mean).

Many of the upgrades were just to make it easier to use but yes, it does run well. Most of it is in the blade though really, a decent blade from Tuffsaws makes all the difference. The new lower bearing has certainly made it sound a lot better though!

Alexam":295nmkdj said:
Sounds good. Don't put too much loading on the blade from just touching when it is in place, as this could affect the weld with too much pressure. It only needs enough to hold in place, so the instructions of about 1/8" are about right, possibly 1/4".

Once you have put the blade under load, then be sure to re-centre the blade on the top wheel, as the pressure would have moved it forward and out of line.

Awaiting the results and presumably you have already ordered your 1/8" blade from Tuffsaw?.

Malcolm
Very interested in Woodpigs work on the guides , impressive to say the least, but I am a little concerned about heat build on the bearing ??????
Another thing ----- how deep is the groove i:e does the blade need to be a close fit up to the gullet?
A few years ago I had a very very old bandsaw, fitted together with the old type bolts , square headed course thread . 1800 hundreds I would think. My friend gave me a length of anti friction nylon type stuff for the guides. Never tried it as the band saw was not worth fiddling with.
Still got the anti friction nylon about 200 mm x 20 mm dia. I intend to try it on my BS350S the blade that came with it. make a guide holder and see how it goes. I have turned a piece of it on the lathe turns o.k. , I now need to find what sort of glue sticks it. Ideas anyone??
My new blades from Tuff saws should be here today or tomorrow, Will then set the table /fence/ mitre slots etc.etc. etc to the 5/8 blade. At the moment the table seems a little out of true against the blade that came with it.
All good fun
Regards
Richard

I think the single bearing guide is only intended to provide support for the back of the blade. The slot is certainly not very deep on this one:

http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw- ... kon-1-rik1

There are lots of low friction plastics available. Some Nylons are impregnated with oil or graphite and of course solid PTFE rod is very slippery. Most of them though, particularly the PTFE are quite soft so deform easily and may readily absorb foreign matter in use. The best low friction plastic material I've used is Ertalyte TX. This is a fairly hard plastic with PTFE fibres embedded in it. It machines well and is quite dimensionally stable for a plastic.

Done.

IMGP3937_zpsp8vsoc4h.jpg

Well done, that looks good and I hope it runs as well as expected. With the one I have from Carter, the groove is in the centre of the bearing, but don't suppose it matters much. Also the one from Carter has a grub screw to hold in the bearing shaft and allow it to be moved sideways if adjustment is needed.

Let us know how it performs when you have time.

Mine is adjustable, the grub screw is at the back. :wink: Bit more material there and it's just as easy to get at.

First test. Only large lump of wood I could find was some softwood that's been sitting outside in the rain for the last few months. Not dripping wet inside but still damp to the touch. About 4 inches thick. The blade is 1/8", for some reason I didn't think I had one that small.
ee3d4cfaead857a24668c795e7e1766e_zpsac834f27.jpg

I now need to trim a little off the blade cover.

Nice one. I also trimmed a bit of the blade cover to help maintain the cutting depth and get a better view.

#5.jpg
#6.jpg
This was my first trial, also with 1/8" blade
# 12.jpg

Attachments

• #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,674
  • #6.jpg
    #6.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,674
  • # 12.jpg
    # 12.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,674
Final part. New bottom guides. On the right with the others I made previously. The existing back bearing was already a 22 x 8 x 7 bearing race as a separate part so I left that alone.

IMGP3952_zpsuhzhhji1.jpg

Latest posts

Back