Record BS300 Band Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased brand new a Record 300 E BS, six months ago, I wish I had never set eyes on the damned thing.

To tell of my experiences would take forevever. All I can say is that I have tried everything in the book you mention it I have tried it, even had a so called engineer from Record set it up but it still wouldn't do what I wanted it to do, and that
is resaw. The book says it will resaw to a depth of 8ins I know realistically it will not do that, but I do expect it to resaw
at least 6ins but it will not resaw to even 2ins, it just tapers off from top to bottom. I have tried numerous blades of different sizes blades other than Record, checked for blade drift, adjusted guides , fence alignment, checked blade is 90 degrees to the table but all to no avail. Record insists the machine is working okay, maybe it is working but it is not working
as far as resawing is concerned. I think Record aftersales is terrible. I don't want to put the person who is thinking of buying the 300BS but make sure it does everything it is supposed to do effectively. I wonder if anyone else has had trouble
with the 300E? This machine cost me the thick end of £500 I bought it primarily to resaw now it is just gathering dust in my workshop.

Harry.

Paul, just take a chunk of wood with you & ask to see it working.

I`ve never had an ounce of trouble with my 300, other than some transport damage which record after sales sorted straight away & posted the new bits to me next day.

I resaw on mine quite often, I was cutting some 7" oak with a Tuff saw blade the other day for the bottom door rail seen on this door

door3007.jpg

I might have just been lucky & got a good one, but as i say, just ask to see it working.

Cheers.

I`ve had my BS300 for several years and have been happy with it. As a general workhorse for assorted workshop tasks it`s great. While it will cope with fairly deep resawing with a good blade, like other brands of a similar size and spec., it is not really the machine of choice for doing so on a daily basis. Apart from checking for obvious damage when buying used, the good thing about a bandsaw is its adjustability and tunability, so you should be able to get it working the way you want it.There is plenty of info out there as to how to go about it if you`re unsure.

Ian

Thanks for the input guys. Based on the feedback, I think I will limit my bid to £200 do you think that is reasonable? I am in no hurry and can wait for the right saw at a reasonable price.

Sorry to be the quiet guy in the corner who just reads the comments - but thanks; after reading the comments you have stopped me from buying a new record 300 band saw. So manufactures take heed some of us do read the problems and your response to them and you do lose sales based on what is posted.

That's a shame. Ive got many Record Power tools including a BS300E and its performed absolutely superbly. Most recently Ive been cutting 6 inch thick 9" diameter oak bowl blanks in green wood and its totally bullet proof. I spent plenty of time carefully setting it up from new (4 years ago) and I use tuffsaws blades.

The best advice I can give is that a decent quality blade makes a MASSIVE difference to its performance and this is true of all bandsaws. I've always received exemplary service from Record over many years and would highly recommend them and their heavy duty tools. It sounds like you've been unlucky.

I have a similar model. Most bandsaw cutting problems are caused by the wrong blade choice. Tuff are able to provide the ideal blade.making a cheappie band saw into a good band saw.
don't be put off by the price as 1 decent purpose blade is worth several cheap and nasties!.
Then adjust and fettle the wheels and guides as can be seen on u tube if not here.
Regards Rodders

I got a bs300 about one year ago it replaces the other 2record power lower priced ones that where rubbish and I do find it does what it says on the tin but I was a bit apprehensive at first I make bandsaw boxes but I went on youtube and watched a video quite by chance by bob snodgrass and followed his advise on setting up a bandsaw and I have not had one piece of bother

the dealings I have had in the past with Record power over the first two bandsaws has been good and spares where shipped out very quickly I have recently bought a record power scroll saw so I await to see what problems happen with this so far it is ok

john

a clean car is a sign of a sick mind

Hi john, I think you mean the video of Alex Snodgrass - this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Tuning is only that and nothing else. If you really want to get the very best use of your bandsaw on an ongoing basis, then the Steve Maskery DVD's will show you far more and they are a real investment that you should own. http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/ '.

For checking the tension of your blade - Flutter test Video's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chyo9chuwJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zZuDosSy0

Malcolm

hi Malcolm yes you where right it was alex snodgrass

I have just watched both of the videos on the flutter test and as I am due to change out my old blade soon will try it the one that is in has very slight buckle in it and I am using it to cut old pallet wood for sticks and making stools and planters ak as long as I am extra careful

john

a clean car is a sign of a sick mind

If youre kinked, do take care. Better to straighten it out or replace the blade. Some harder blades can cope with the off nail, just take a look at Tuffsaw site for details. Good luck and Happy Christmas and New Year.
Malcolm

Don't know whether this post is in the right section but I have a bs300e band saw and have not had a lot of trouble with it apart from the tensioning system and I must say record power did send me a new part out as soon as I had got in touch with them my question is this can anyone tell me how this tensioner is supposed to work as when I try to tension mine it seems to press on the rod that adjusts the tracking. I have had it to bits and cannot really see how else it can work. Am I missing something or is it really supposed to press on this rod as it doesn't seem to tension enough without bending the rod.
Thanks Cliff.

I have the larger BS350 and cannot fault it, but with my experience of Record Power's attitude to their customers after having problems with a thickness-planer I refuse to buy anything from them again.

ian_in_the_midlands":4c3v35x4 said:
I have the larger BS350 and cannot fault it, but with my experience of Record Power's attitude to their customers after having problems with a thickness-plainer I refuse to buy anything from them again.

Hi Ian,

I'm rather surprised at your statement as I have always found the REcord company to be most helpful when there is a problem with any of their equipment under guarantee. |I have even heard that they sometimes still help out even outside the guarantee. What was the problem with your P/T as I have the 260
Malcolm

Sorry, this should have been a PM as it's on another subject. Please PM reply Ian so I don't hijack this thread.
M

Hi,
I know the thead is 3 years old, but I would be interested to hear from bstn1234 about his problem with BS300. Mine seems to act in the very same way. bstn1234, did you solve the mystery?
Rather puzzled greetings from Germany

Latest posts

Back