Record block plane 09 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings, my dads been clearing his shed for demolition over the weekend and decided to drop off some of my 'junk', I think technically some of its his but thats a different story :roll: Anyhow whilst rooting through the bucket of mostly imperial sockets (yes dad they must be mine... :roll: ) I find a record block plane, not an old one mind but probably obtained around the year 2000 (give or take a year or two) - probaby brought in a mixed bag of tools that had something else in that I wanted at the time.

So question being is it worth tidying up and attempting to use or is the blade gonna be made of cheese? The body has a bit of rust and will only take a little while to clean up, the thing looks complete (check out the plane expert :oops: ).

I can put a picture or two up after work tommorrow if its of any use. Should the body be ok and the blade poop - is it viable to buy a better one or just buy a whole plane of better vintage.

In anticipation...

Nice little plane that one.

It's worth cleaning it up and seeing how it performs...the newer ones can be rubbish but it depends on exactly when you bought it. The proof will be in trying it out..you can always get an aftermarket iron for it later as the mouth moves.

Not a particularly rare plane..... :wink: ....but a user and quite a useful one.

I use it's sister...the 60 1/2 as an all rounder block plane...

DSC_0212.JPG

...when I can't be bothered to use one of my infills...or don't want to risk damaging them! 8)

Cheers

Jim

jimi43":1mv2l023 said:
I use it's sister...the 60 1/2 as an all rounder block plane...

DSC_0212.JPG
That's a Stanley jimi - that makes it a cousin...

Hat and coat time... :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

The blades are normally ok and the only problem you could have is if the blade has excessive wear which lead to problems making adjustments.

The most common problem I've found with these planes is the bed surface for the blade not being flat. Easily fixed in a few minutes with a file.

Pictures hopefully now added.

record09a.jpg

And maybe in the correct order..

record09b.jpg

Hmm lets see..

Attachments

• record09a.jpg
    record09a.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 1,341
  • record09b.jpg
    record09b.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 1,320
Got it right that time, need to play with resolution next time.

So maybe I will get time to give it a quick clean up at work tommorrow, if not the long weekend should provide an opportunity - especially if the weather is as rubbish as proposed. Rather do it at work, no one will notice the mess thats for sure :roll: and my first go at sharpening a plane... :oops:

Hmm, looks mainly okay - slightly worried that there's a deep pit right in the middle of the front of the mouth, exactly where you don't want it. Hopefully the camera is lying like a dog. Looking forward to seeing it cleaned up.

Hi,

If it is a bad pit you can fille some metal off and still adjust it for a tight mouth.

Pete

Well then, had a go at a clean up yesterday. Soaked in the dreaded wd40 for a few hours to help free up everything, while I was having lunch I got some 120 grit paper and set to work.

cleaned.jpg

cleansole.jpg

Gave the blade (iron?) a go over as well, then ground the bevel on an angle grinder (slowly, minimal heat) to loose some of the pitting.

cleanngrind.jpg

Left it at that for the day.

Attachments

• cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 1,210
  • cleansole.jpg
    cleansole.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 1,190
  • cleanngrind.jpg
    cleanngrind.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 1,195
So this morning I thought I'd try my first plane sharpen - worked through the grits on my no expense spared aldi diamond stone..

bevelbevel.jpg

Put it back together again, and rub it against a random piece of wood..

itworkk.jpg

morework.jpg

Bloody hell it works!, so with a mild sense of pride I went and made tea.

Attachments

• bevelbevel.jpg
    bevelbevel.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 1,167
  • itworkk.jpg
    itworkk.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 1,184
  • morework.jpg
    morework.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 1,182
Thanks for the encouragement folks, is appreciated.

Well Jim's thrown the gauntlet for some end grain cutting so I'll have a quick hone and a try out later, not sure if my sharpening skills are there yet.

One thing I noticed while sharpening was the metal residue left on the stone was lighter in colour and finer (to my eyes) than anything else I've tried to sharpen 'properly' of late - it occured to me that anything else has been cheap chisels with CRV blades, so am I right thinking this is an 01 tool steel blade or am I barking up the wrong tree?...

Slope? nah, dunno what your talking about...

Photo0694.jpg

Errr..

Attachments

• Photo0694.jpg
    Photo0694.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 364
Back