Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Record AC400 Wiring?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

PeteG

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2013
Messages
998
Reaction score
1
Location
Manchester
My AC400 hasn't worked properly for several months, it's seven years old. Using the remote or on/off button, the extractor would start to spin but then nothing. I decided today just to give it a good clean out with the air compressor, something that worked on my Lidl workshop vac, a good blast around the switch and all was well :) Anyway...I take the front panel of the AC400 off, and disconnect the earth wire "A" from the top of the cabinet.
I notice a couple of nuts and a washer "D" inside the cabinet, and two loose earthing wires "B" not connected to anything. The two wires "B" weren't connected to the same bolt in the cabinet as earthing wire "A", as "A" is the other end of one of the wires at "B"...So should these two connectors "B", be bolted on to the same bolt at "C"?

AC400 Earthing.jpg
 

Attachments

HappyHacker

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2016
Messages
395
Reaction score
14
Location
Chester
It's never easy to make recommendations based on a photo as i have never seen one of those units. But it would be normal for there to be a earth bonding conductor to each metal part of the case to ensure everything has an earth return path in the event of a fault. So I would suspect that B should be connected to C if that ensures that all the different bits of the case are earthed by the wires. What is the the other end of B attached to apart from one going to A?
 

PeteG

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2013
Messages
998
Reaction score
1
Location
Manchester
HappyHacker":29tssske said:
It's never easy to make recommendations based on a photo as i have never seen one of those units. But it would be normal for there to be a earth bonding conductor to each metal part of the case to ensure everything has an earth return path in the event of a fault. So I would suspect that B should be connected to C if that ensures that all the different bits of the case are earthed by the wires. What is the the other end of B attached to apart from one going to A?
Appreciate the help fella :D The other end of "B" is earth to a bracket supporting the fan...
 

HappyHacker

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2016
Messages
395
Reaction score
14
Location
Chester
Sounds as if C is definately the home for B then. I have assumed that C is the incoming earth.
 

PeteG

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2013
Messages
998
Reaction score
1
Location
Manchester
HappyHacker":2fj22h44 said:
Sounds as if C is definately the home for B then. I have assumed that C is the incoming earth.
Thanks again HappyHacker :) I've put it back together this morning, same as before. The fan starts to spin and stops almost immediately
but the motor doesn't make a sound...
 

HappyHacker

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2016
Messages
395
Reaction score
14
Location
Chester
Ahh, I thought from your original post you had already sorted that.

The connection you have made will not have made any difference it is only a safety connection in the unlikely event of one of the panels making contact with a live conductor it will ensure they have a earth return path to cause the fuse to trip rather than an unsuspecting user providing the earth return path.

What sort of motor is in it? Motors not starting are normally a capacitor failing or brushes worn depending on the type of motor. Both are normally cheap and easy to fix. There are other motor types that can be used but they have very low starting torque and do not not normally start spinning if there is an issue, usually with the bearings.
 

PeteG

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2013
Messages
998
Reaction score
1
Location
Manchester
HappyHacker":hnga1mun said:
Ahh, I thought from your original post you had already sorted that.

The connection you have made will not have made any difference it is only a safety connection in the unlikely event of one of the panels making contact with a live conductor it will ensure they have a earth return path to cause the fuse to trip rather than an unsuspecting user providing the earth return path.

What sort of motor is in it? Motors not starting are normally a capacitor failing or brushes worn depending on the type of motor. Both are normally cheap and easy to fix. There are other motor types that can be used but they have very low starting torque and do not not normally start spinning if there is an issue, usually with the bearings.
All sorted, kind of...I called Record Power and it seems I missed a recall notice a few years ago, so their sending me a new front panel.
Hopefully it's nothing more than that! Excellent service for a product I bought in October 2013. Thanks again for your help HappyHacker :D
 
Top