Record 77a Question and refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just received a Record 77A.

It has both the shims and a good length of blade left.

It needs a bit if a clean and fettle which is part of the reason I purchased it.

Anyway upon looking at the sole there is a chip in the middle, looks like someone hit a screw.

It's not going to get a load of use, I guess the only potential issue is the blade not being supported across the whole width.

Should I just refurb and use, lap the sole, file the blade bed, combination of lapping and blade bed sanding.

Cheers.

Pictures would help, but given that it's only ever used to take very thin shavings, I can't see that a chip would be any problem.

Combination planes work ok, and their similar gauge irons only get support from one or two thin skates.

Sorry for the late reply, here are some pics:

BN_1.jpg
Not too bad, a little bit of rust, and some paint to remove

BN_2.jpg

This shows the chip, which is a bit tricky to see.

BN_3.jpg
Split into component parts, again not too bad.

Giving it a quick clean and sorting out the threads etc, resulted in thin shavings. However the blade is not square at all, it has a ~15 degree angle from left to right, which I'll sort out.

Here is a quick pick of it cleaned up:

BNR_1.jpg

It's just going to take a while to get the blade square!

It looks likely has the maching marks on it still.

Even with the wonky blade it takes nice think shavings.

At the risk of being barred, it would be superb for shaving Parmesan cheese, especially with the off square blade....... very artistic.

Latest posts

Back