Record #778

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired one of these rebate planes. I have been looking for one for a long while - the #778 is like hen's teeth in Oz. It is a good deal more solid than my Stanley #78, slightly longer and definitely heavier, and of course it has a much better fence.

What I want to know is if it comes with a depth gauge, as per the Stanley #78? Mine did not, although I can fit a Stanley to it as it has the screw hole and fence guide indent. All the pictures and adverts I have seen of a #778 show only the fence - never a depth stop.

If it does use one, has anyone here a spare Record depth stop for sale?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
As the photo shows, there is indeed a depth gauge. I got mine off Ebay for a song not to many moons ago, complete with depth gauge.

A few days ago, because I had been feeling guilty about owning a small boat anchor I never used (Alf and Slim - it's all your fault!) I used my Record 50 and then my 778 in a comparison test, cutting rebates (it was an early Sunday morning and I didn't want to incur neighbours wrath by turning on the router) and surprise surprise(!) the Record 50 made a nicer job of it. The tool felt more balanced and the thicker blade helped I think. I even went so far as to sharpen all the nickers and make some dados with the 50 but that is another story.

The tool felt more balanced and the thicker blade helped I think.

I know the newer Record #50c had thick blades, by my older #50 blades ain't exactly slabs.

I'm surprised at your 778 blades being thinner than #50 blades.

BugBear

BB

Thanks for the picture. I had not seen that one before.

The #778 blades are the same "thickness" (or should that read "thinness"?) as the Stanley #78. The #78 cuts well enough, but I did also wonder what the #778 would be like with a thicker blade? In fact, early today I was mulling over the possibility of making one myself. Does anyone make them?

Regards from Perth

Derek

BB

The #778 blades are the same "thickness" (or should that read "thinness"?) as the Stanley #78. The #78 cuts well enough, but I did also wonder what the #778 would be like with a thicker blade? In fact, early today I was mulling over the possibility of making one myself. Does anyone make them?

Derek

Just a thought, would it be possible to make a thicker blade by epoxying/welding a piece of steel onto the existing blade thus making a thicker laminated blade?

Stupid idea perhaps? :oops:

BB,
I just measured my 050's blades at .12 inches thick vs .08 inches for the 778 - so 50% thicker. Of course the 778 has a cap iron - the 050 doesn't.

Mudman, yes you could do that if you were so inclined, there is enough space in the mouth opening for a thicker blade so no mods to the plane would be needed.

My intuition (and failed memory) stand corrected; herewith some information gathered with the aid of severe case of the slope, and a Moore & Wright micrometer.

Code:
Woden W-78       0.085
UK Stanley #50   0.112
#043          0.122
#050          0.114
#405          0.115
SS #04       0.077

BugBear (who would have used an HTML table, but couldn't)

The LN #778 blade arrived and I have given it a quick spin.

It is well made, 1/8" thick and sharpens up very well ( it is sooo easy to cut a finger on these planes since the edge of the bevel projects from one side - DAMHIK!). A few practice shavings unfortunately do not say much, but it did do a very good job. Better than the Record blade?

The LN was an impulse purchase and made before I had even sharpened up the Record blade. I used the Record blade in the #778 for a project last weekend, and I must say that the LN is going to have to be damn good to improve on this!

image016.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back