Record 52 1/2 vice modification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furnace

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a modern version as pictured below bought in the late 80s
1610446170023.png

It has the stamped metal plate on the end of the bars (1 inch diameter) which locates very poorly causing the half nut to become misaligned. Does anyone have a spare cast metal version of the end plate as circled below?
1610446458751.png

Thanks in advance

Mark

I have a modern version as pictured below bought in the late 80s
View attachment 100746
It has the stamped metal plate on the end of the bars (1 inch diameter) which locates very poorly causing the half nut to become misaligned. Does anyone have a spare cast metal version of the end plate as circled below?
View attachment 100747

Thanks in advance

Mark
Mines the same (plate not casting) and has been in trouble free use for 50 years or so. Except once when I dismantled it for some reason and the half nut stopped working properly when I put it back together. Not sure why but when I did it again it was OK.
Maybe thats all you need to do; something else not obvious is out of alignment.

I very much doubt that this is what is causing the problem, so just mentioning it,
The endplates on some record vices look as if they can be put on any way round. Take a careful look and the holes aren’t actually inline the central hole should be lower. Ian

The plate at the ends of the bars has two shallow recesses formed in it, and a hole. The two recesses locate over the guide bars, and the hole receives the threaded rod. When the quick release lever is activated, pressure is taken off the plate which (on mine) then slips down slightly as it is not held securely by the plate. When the qr lever is released, the plate often remains in its skewed position, upsetting the relationship between the bars and the rod. The cast version mentioned in my original post can't become displaced during the qr action as the rods sit in a housing, not a shallow recess.
Is it possible I am missing a spring on the end of the threaded rod that would ensure there was always some positive pressure exerted between the plate and the ends of the guide bars?

The plate at the ends of the bars has two shallow recesses formed in it, and a hole. The two recesses locate over the guide bars, and the hole receives the threaded rod. When the quick release lever is activated, pressure is taken off the plate which (on mine) then slips down slightly as it is not held securely by the plate. When the qr lever is released, the plate often remains in its skewed position, upsetting the relationship between the bars and the rod. The cast version mentioned in my original post can't become displaced during the qr action as the rods sit in a housing, not a shallow recess.
Is it possible I am missing a spring on the end of the threaded rod that would ensure there was always some positive pressure exerted between the plate and the ends of the guide bars?
Not a spring in general terms but sometimes a spring washer can be utilised.
It is best to have some light pressure rather than things being sloppy.
You must have a fair amount of play for it to keep happening. I'm just wondering if someone has remade the plate or it's a newer model and now just relying on recesses on the plate to keep things together?
Do you have a picture of yours?
Cheers Andy
https://www.globalspec.com/learnmore/mechanical_components/springs/washer_springs

I'll take a pic when the bandage is off my hand (don't ask), but I've had it apart a few times and the recesses are stamped in and very small, hence the problem.

I'll take a pic when the bandage is off my hand (don't ask), but I've had it apart a few times and the recesses are stamped in and very small, hence the problem.
I’ve had quite a few record vices over the years and I’m sure every single one has had three holes in that backplate, never come across one with just one hole and two recesses, any chance of a photo? Ian

Here are pics of the plate showing the recesses are only about 1.5mm deep. This means the tolerance between the washer and the steel crosspin on the end of the threaded bar is critical to prevent the plate becoming misaligned as tension is released when the quick release lever is actuated. My problem seems to have become worse over the years as the pin has become worn through contact with the washer. I may try a suitably sized rollpin and/or a thrust/wavy washer to take up slack.

Attachments

• PXL_20210115_135448719.jpg
    PXL_20210115_135448719.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210115_135534494.jpg
    PXL_20210115_135534494.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 11
Here are pics of the plate showing the recesses are only about 1.5mm deep. This means the tolerance between the washer and the steel crosspin on the end of the threaded bar is critical to prevent the plate becoming misaligned as tension is released when the quick release lever is actuated. My problem seems to have become worse over the years as the pin has become worn through contact with the washer. I may try a suitably sized rollpin and/or a thrust/wavy washer to take up slack.

Thanks RECORD or whoever owns em now, you've taken the undisputed world market leader in quick release carpentry bench vices and wrecked it by penny pinching.(n):mad::cry:
I dare say you aren't the first to suffer this problem and won't be the last.
Just in case there is any modicum of customer service left, I'd be ringing them forthwith.....
Anyhow;)
From the look of it the plate may be bent a bit which could be easily straightened and this may be enough with taking out any screw slack.
Personally, after that, I'd be looking at drilling through the into the ends of the bars, tapping the holes and then bolting the plate on. IMPORTANT TO HAVE PLATE RIGHT WAY UP FIRST.
The taking open of slack on the screw should be a formality to sort out as you described.
Cheers Andy

I've not seen one like that, even in photos, mine are older. Is that black gloopy-looking stuff in the recesses remnants of glue?

The plate isn't actually bent, it's just cheapo. I'll remove the whole vice when my hand is better (again, don't ask) and attempt a permanent fix. At the moment, I've used a slightly thicker washer and rotated the (worn) pin so it's working OKish. Big sigh...

Latest posts

Back