Record 52 1/2 E Vice open jaw failure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rx20a

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Record 52 1/2 E vice from eBay. It had a lot of rust, saw dust and what not all over the place so I decided to disassamble it, removing the quick release trigger (complete), the c/w guide and gave it a nice clean. My troubles began when putting it all back together. As far as I can see it's all back in full order but when trying to open the jaw the guide jumps out of place lifting the quick release bar and just keeps jumping out each rotation.

I've tried to find all the threads here on solutions, which included trying to use WD40 or such on it, which I have tried. I've taken it apart and put it back atleast a 100 times now trying everything but nothing seems to keep the guide in place for opening. Closing I have no problems with and if I physically hold the quick release down 9/10 times it will open up.

Any help would be much appreciated on setting it so that it will open and close without problems! Thank you

Hi there and welcome to the forum 8)

When you put the coiled spring back on did you make sure that it had enough tension on it?
From what you say by having to hold the lever down to get it winding out, it may need winding round a turn :wink:

Andy

I'd also suggest you check that the spring is in correctly. Many years ago the spring on my quick release Record 52D broke and I had to replace it. I seem to remember that it was a bit of a fiddle to get the new spring in correctly. Try to have a look at another Record QR vice to see how the spring fits.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thank you for the quick replies! I did wonder if it was the spring. I took a few photos before disassambly to make sure I put it back correctly, only thing I didn't take a clear shot of was the spring. I could not seem to cause any more tension and haven't been able to find a photo clearly showing the position of the spring.

Ok rx20a,lets see if we can resolve this for you....
The simplest would be to let someone have a look at it for you.
Where roughly are you ?

Could you take some more pics as it is and let us see?

Does a friend near you have a similar vice or a local supplier ?

Give me a call whenever if it helps 07989450987

Andy

what bit do you need a close up photo of ?

IMG_0957.jpg

Still looks like a spring tension problem to me

The spring forces the flat bar to hold down the screw engaging unit with the square rod in the center of the vice , ( The bit you can see jumping up and down )

not enough pressure to hold it down

Right, I think you are right about the not enough tension in the spring. I will try to wind it up more but had struggled a bit with that earlier, just before the video. Thanks for the help!

If I remember rightly...when I tuned up the one I had...the bar is twisted to full tightness then the bolt inserted...or something like that.

It ain't tight enough from your pics/video

Cheers

Jim

Thank you so much for everyone's help. Just went out and after a little flaffing about managed to tighten the spring and it now works. The quick release is a bit fiddly in the sense that if you release, you have to force it back up quite high for the guide to catch and allow the jaw to open again, but non the less it actually works now!

Hi, rx20a

To me it looks like it was working perfectly.
The thread is wedge shaped so opening it will cause the nut to ride up the slope and fall back down, to open the jaws you NEED to use the quick release leaver.
So put it back to how it was and use it properly :wink: :D

Pete

Thanks Blister for the photos highlighting the spring mechanism. Came across this site via google search and your photos have helped no end in me completing my vice renovation.

Thanks again
Andy

Back