Record 5 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake.. I reckon you did well to loose this one.....

I'd put the selling price at 3x more than its value....

Yeah, I wasn't bothered about losing it, I wouldn't have followed it up there even if it were fair value. I was just intrigued that something pretty replaceable (there'll be another within a fortnight at the most, I'd imagine) would take off so much.

The stupid "I have to 'win' fever", I guess. Unless an uber-galoot points out that it's the one where they spelt record "recrod" which only happened in 1921 and the other 22 planes affected went down in the channel during the war or something.

Well, I enhanced the image (levels dialog in Gimp, Photoshop can also do this), and had a good look.

The square corners on the blade indicate a "certain" amount of age (more recent blades have round corners so you can't catch your flesh).

The handles are dark enough to be rosewood.

It's not (as far as I can see) a "Stay Set"

It has a tatty box.

In short it's a high quality, usable, basic older Record.

I'd say 45-50 quid would be fair.

BugBear

The run down of average prices that came with my Record Tools catalogue reprint (dated March 2003), puts an ordinary #5 1/2 between £30-£60, fwiw. Now if it was a corrugated Stay Set #5 1/2 then that winning price might make a bit more sense.

Jake":wj72pbpc said:
Unless an uber-galoot points out that it's the one where they spelt record "recrod" which only happened in 1921 and the other 22 planes affected went down in the channel during the war or something.
Chuckle. That'd make a good Ebay auction blurb. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf said:
. Now if it was a corrugated Stay Set #5 1/2 then that winning price might make a bit more sense.

So you reckon that my corrugated sole No 5 (sadly, no Stay Set) for $3.50 from an "antiques barn" in Ohio was not a bad deal??

Oh, I think we can safely say "not bad", yep... :roll: :lol: Between £25 and £60 for a Record #5C apparently. But a Record in Ohio? :?

Cheers, Alf

Back