Record 25 vice casting repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solverson

Reaction score
I recently picked an Irwin Record 25 vice out of a scrap bin at work. It was thrown there having “given out” whilst clamping a heavy casting that was having its bolts torqued to ~400Nm. Each time it slipped in the jaws, they gave the vice handle a hammering to tighten it further. As a result, the casting that braces against the half-nut has broken. The quick release mechanism had also been pulled over to one side and no longer engaged the screw. The vice was binned without any further investigation.

DSC_0281.JPG

Having rebuilt the vice, it all works fine but the half nut is now only half supported so I want to repair the damaged casting. The image below show the underside of the vice quick release mechanism

DSC_0291.JPG

The next image is looking to the vice with he front jaw removed – showing the broken part of the casting

DSC_0300_LI.jpg

The final image shows roughly where the half nut sits when it is engaged.

DSC_0304.JPG

According to the Irwin Record website, this vice is made from ductile iron. However, I am unsure how to proceed having never repaired cast iron before.

My thoughts are that I could get the broken part of the casting brazed back on as I still have it, but I am unsure how easy or how strong that repair would be. The second option would be build the area back up by welding it then grind it back into shape – again, I am unsure how easy this would be or how likely it would be to cause failure due to creating a heat affected zone around the weld. There are probably also other ways to repair this that I haven’t considered.

I’m guessing there will be guys on this forum that have experience of similar repairs and I would appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks in advance :)

You could think about cutting off the other wing and then grinding to make a flat platform. Fabricate a new part from a steel block (hacksaw and file) and then drill and tap the casting to fit.

I'm fairly sure that the right person with the right knowledge would be able to braze or weld that part back on. Finding that right person might be a bit more of a challenge! In order to effect the repair, both parts will have to be heated to near red heat, the welding/brazing carried out and then the part cooled slowly. You might find more info about this sort of repair on the model engineering forum.

G.

You could think about cutting off the other wing and then grinding to make a flat platform. Fabricate a new part from a steel block (hacksaw and file) and then drill and tap the casting to fit.
Thank you for your advice - I hadn't really considered fabricating a replacement part but I think I'll have a go at making something and see how it looks.

I'm fairly sure that the right person with the right knowledge would be able to braze or weld that part back on. Finding that right person might be a bit more of a challenge! In order to effect the repair, both parts will have to be heated to near red heat, the welding/brazing carried out and then the part cooled slowly. You might find more info about this sort of repair on the model engineering forum.

G.
I had a look online and I think I have found a small copany that claims to be able to braze or weld anything - including castings. I think I'll visit them in the next week or so and get their opinion on it. As RichardG suggested - it might also be an idea to make a replacement part out of steel. It may even make sense to make a new part then get it brazed on. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you for your input.

Hi Just came across this thread, how did you get on eventually?
Hi Okeydokey,

Thanks for prompting me to conclude what I had originaly asked for advice about.

I took the vice to a professional welder/fabricator who said that there was not practical way to weld or braze the casting back up due to access and general issues with pre-heating an odd shaped casing. His advice basically matched what RichardG said above - grind the casting down and then make a steel replacement part and then bolt it on. He said welding the block would have the same issues with heating and access.

Below is the block that I made. It basically had to match the original casting as there is very little clearance between the moving parts of the vice. I added a step at the front to give some extra material for this piece to brace against the casting (preventing the bolts being entirely in shear when the vice is in use).

Replacement bracing block.JPG

To fit the block, I had to modify the casting. I wanted a couple of flats for the bolt heads and needed to make space for the step on the replacement bracing block.
Vice underside.JPG

Below - machining the casting. I removed enough material for the block- so the half nut mating surface would be in the same location as the original casting. You can also see the two flats for the bolt heads and the two pilot holes - I machined the flats until the surfaces fully cleaned up.

Machining step and bolt pads.JPG

Below - same again but now witht he m12 holes drilled
Machining step and bolt pads 2.JPG

Having machined the casting, I then ground down the broken piece with a die grinder. Below is the pad partially ground. I finished it flat with a file. It was filthy work.
Griding down old casting WIP.JPG

I then fitted the block (having drilled and tapped it with two M12x1.5 holes) and put loctite on the bolts and some JB weld under the block too becasue I decided it wouldn't hurt.

Block secured in place.JPG

Block secured in place 2.JPG

The block step sits firmly against the cating and the bolt heads clear the quick release slide.

Block secured in place 3 -underside.JPG

Below - underside reassembled.

Reassembled underside.JPG

The vice is now working fine and you wouldn't know a replair had been done. I feel it is a strong repair but I guess only time will tell.

Back