Record 077A plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

The guy with the 077A plane at the car-boot sale was not there this week, so I bought some other bits.

Makita 12v Hammer drill/driver with 1/2 hour charger. £5.00

Draftsmans drawing board, 720mm x 520mm with lock. £4.00

Two books:- router joinery. By Carol Reed. £5.00
Carpentry & Joinery. Bench & site skills. By Brian Porter & Reg Rose. £4.00

And another gizmo for edge marking. £0.50

All in all, not a bad days pickings. The books where more than I would usually pay.

So after all that I never got the plane. But, thanks to all of you, I have learned a lot.

Thank you all very much.
Best regards, Gary.

Roughly what are the dimensions of the record 077 or 077a? I just won one on eBay and am curious how big it will be. :wink:

cheers,

Alf":1dn5jy2c said:
4" long, 1 1/8" wide iron, 1 1/4lbs. Well it was in 1938 anyway. :D

Cheers, Alf

Thanks very much for the info Alf! Here's the little pipper that I won on eBay. Probably paid too much but I like the old record planes. :wink:
d437_1.JPG

Philly":k0hta93e said:
Glad to see you've still got the tool bug, Dave :lol:
Nice one,
Philly :D

Hiya Philly!

Yep, still got the tool bug. Isn't there a vaccination yet? :roll: :lol:

Been checking out your blog and gotta say, nice work you've been doing! Are you a full-time cabinetmaker or do you just get a lot of time in the shop from your missus?

cheers!

Dave
No, just for fun. The Missus and I have a constant battle - me to get in the workshop, She to get me out :lol:
Thanks for the compliment,

Hi Philly,

My 077 came last night. I'll post some pics in a bit. Had to say though, the shimmable nose piece is very nice. It took a bit to get the blade fettled up properly but it does quite a nice job now. I used it to clean up a rabbet that I cut in a cabinet to house a piano hinge and it worked very well. I had to pop off the nosepiece to clean up the corners of the rabbet and the chisel feature was really nice. Now I can hold off purchasing a medium shoulder plane until I really need one. I use my LN 60.5R to clean up tenon shoulders and a LN 140 skew to clean up tenon cheeks.

cheers,

hi nice 077
i have one just like it, are you going to attempt the longer wooden nose to turn it into a shoulder plane?

Ahhhhh!!! Much better (I think :roll: )
Glad the "Art of Gloatage" is alive and well in Maryland :lol:
Nice one, and also on the Anniversary. O.k., and the #1, too :lol:
Cheers

LOL :lol:

Glad you appreciated the gloat, Philly. :wink:

Chaz, thanks for the rescue. I wasn't sure why sometimes my pics would show up for me and other times they wouldn't.

Philly":13lcof8z said:
Cheers

Well, I just wanted to throw in some other planes to give an idea of scale.

:p

ydb1md":38kvyemu said:
Philly":38kvyemu said:
Cheers

I'm even going to comment on that old chestnut..... :lol:

ydb1md":3fgdv7ek said:
Philly":3fgdv7ek said:
Cheers

Ah yes, that world shortage of steel rules is really starting to kick in now... :lol:

Back