Record 050

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
Took delivery of my record 050 today (e-bay one). Not bad nick over all, all the cutters are there, plus one extra and full instruction manual.

Only problem is the actual plane is missing a few bits, namely the cross grain spurs and screws, shaving deflector, sliding section fixing screw, cutter clamping bracket, cutter clamping bracket bolt and cutter clamping bracket washer and wing nut. For those of ytou with the insructions these are parts J, R, S, X, Y and Z.

Does anyone know if these parts are still made, or does any of the old tool dealers keep old part, or can they be made, or are they not really important?

Have a bought a bum one?

So many questions.

Matt.

Is it this one? Tsk, in a bit of a pickle... Well we seem to have the sliding section fixing screw there in the auction pics - it's in the sliding section. :wink: That's a Good Thing, 'cos without it you would have been truely in the soup. Seems to have rather short fence rods though. :-s I believe it's a later model than the one I used to own, so I may just be ignorant of later changes. As for the other pieces missing in action:

Cross grain spurs and screws - not needed if a)You don't use it cross grain, or b)You don't mind using a knife or gauge before you use the plane cross grain.

Shaving Deflector - sometimes needed when cutting the tongue part of a T&G. Not always though. Probably no big deal to be without it. Unless you bought the plane to do a load of T&G stuff...

Cutter clamping bracket etc - used to clamp the narrow 3/16" and 1/8" cutters. Don't use 'em and you won't need it.

Matt1245":opculvt1 said:
Does anyone know if these parts are still made
If they do, they're keeping it quiet.

or does any of the old tool dealers keep old part
If you're lucky, but it could cost you more than a complete #050 to get them all.

can they be made
Theoretically, yes...

or are they not really important?
Depends (see above).

It's not a perfect example by any means, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work okay for most things.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks alf.

Forgot to mention that the depth gauge missing too, but i can nick one of them of my 040 or 043. Might be able to get the cross grain spurs from record as a spare, if there the same as they use on the 778, or pinch it of mine. I'll buy some silver steel to make new fence rods (as bug bear did for his 043, just got some for mine today, gone upto £1.65 now :eek: ) Was more worried about the clampy thingymebob and shaving deflector.

And yes it is that one, you could have warned me before hand :lol:

Matt.

Ouch Matt.

In future, comments like this

auction description":1erclek3 said:
parts with it are as in the photographs

are the biggest sign that a seller can give that he's being less than perfectly straightforward while still playing within the rules of caveat emptor.

at least i should be able to sort some of the problems out. Can anyone send me a pic of the shaving deflector, might try and bodge one up of my own.

Matt.

Latest posts

Back