Record 050

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Is there a difference between the Record 50 and 050a planes? Are there differences in the planes over the course of manufacture?

Welcome to the forum, Tim.

Yep. I'll quote direct from Leslie Harrison's intro to the 1938 catalogue reprint if I may. Viz:
050 and 050A Ploughs: - On introduction the 050 lacked the cutter adjusting wheel which was added in November 1933. A bridged fence was provided about 1935. From its introduction in November 1933 the 050A was produced alongside the 050 as an option until about 1943, when the 050 was deleted and the 050A became the standard. The fence arms had threaded ends to screw into the body casting up to about the mid 1950's. Thereafter plain fence arms were used and secured with a screw in the body casting.
Hope that helps.

Cheers, Alf

Alf slipped in a driveby about the reprint catalogue, but forgot to mention that the narrow cutter, and the holder for them, were once (AFAIK) an optional extra. I think the Stanley #50 big-head bolt is simpler though.

Record also pulled a nasty 'A' trick on the #70 adjustable bullnose. The original #70 had a fixed nose. Then they made one with a removable nose and a (shim) adjustable mouth. This was designated the #70A. Then they stopped making the non-adjustable mouth version, and relabelled the adjustable mouth version as the #70.

Thus...

A record #70 may or may not have an adjustable mouth (depending on age) while a #70A always has an adjustable mouth. Something to watch for, out on the 'bay.

BugBear

bugbear":235a8sel said:
Alf slipped in a driveby about the reprint catalogue, but forgot to mention that the narrow cutter, and the holder for them, were once (AFAIK) an optional extra. I think the Stanley #50 big-head bolt is simpler though.
Good point, and one not mentioned in the intro. All too many gaps in the latter, alas. :( However, in the catalogue itself it lists the Narrow Cutter Clamping Bracket as "for use with the No.050" and "This attachment with the two cutters can be supplied to convert the No. 050 plane into a No.050A." So from at least 1938 on that was another difference between them; the #050A had it included as standard. (Oh look, I just looked back up the page and it says all that in the description of the 050. D'oh. :oops: )

bugbear":235a8sel said:
That'll be a collector's item then :)
Mmm, rather. In fact it appears you could go for quite a nice little collection of just the different types of #050s and #050As. Not that I would, of course.
newangel1.gif
But you could, if you wanted to.

Cheers, Alf

Back