Record 043

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaco

Established Member
Reaction score
Scratching thru a long forgotten box the other day, (some stuff from a garage sale) I came across a Record 043 “plane”.
It has a blade of 3.5mm.
Is in extremely good condition.
What is it used for?
Phil

:roll: :roll: :roll:

It is best used for testing the US Postal Service. Place it in a Priority Mail video box (it will fit nicely). I'll send you my address and the postage and report to you when it got here. I don't think it will be necessary to run the test on a return trip. :lol:
"Found it in a forgotten box of garage sale stuff" YOU SUCK! :lol:

OOPS, I just noticed your address said RSA not USA :oops:

And I probably should add the "You Suck" is a tradtional galoot salute for a good tool find.

Hoe gaan dit, Jaco.

That #043 is a sweet little user for cutting the grooves for drawer bottoms. It is limited in that it lacks a fine adjustment for the blade, unlike the #044. I must admit to using the #044 more now.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi phil,

I've got 2 record 043 planes (well i think 2, one is at my Dad's house, it's record blue rather than NP tho, might be an 040)

One was given to me by a customer from work, he no longer uses it and wanted me to have it because he knew i'd look after it (along with 3 marples wooden handled bevel chisels, 2 marples motrice chisels and an old padsaw with an interesting way of holding the blade).

The 043 is in pretty good condition, the only thing missing is one of the screws for the fence rod.

Do you need to tune these planes up as you would with a smoother etc?

Matt.

Hello Peoples! Greetings from the South.
Thanks very much for the replies. :D

Mike, thanks for the info. Nice site :D

Roger – thanks for the “suck”, just to add to it, :D :D :D I also got a Parkinsons wood vice circa 1935 (mounted and in use) and a very much younger Record still to be mounted. And some other bits & bobs.

Derek, dag! 8) Gaan dit goed daar in Perth? How you must miss SA? RSA such an exciting country to live in. Rapes, murders, hi-jackings, armed robberies (especially cash in transit vans), your neighbor being shot in the middle of the night and so the list goes on.
You can now days just about do all your shopping at a traffic intersection and on the pavements including freshly slaughtered chickens! :shock:

Alf, will not argue with the Queen of hand tools. 8)

Matt, you also “suck” looking at that free list!
I cannot help with the tuning. I am not a Hand Tool man.
Motorized tools allow me to make a bigger mess up a lot faster.
:D :D

Matt1245":1gv2bs21 said:
Do you need to tune these planes up as you would with a smoother etc?
Not really. It's worth making sure the skate/sole is straight, removing any rust and so forth, but other than that should be good to go - once you've sharpened the blades. Oh, you might want to add a wooden face to the fence and make some short rods as per BB's page to make it perfect of course.

Cheers, Alf

Chees Alf.

Should the blade be sharpened straight like a normal plane blade? The blade in mine has been sharpened rounded.

Matt, you also “suck” looking at that free list!

Take it shouldn't mention my 2 hand me down record vises, one a No52 quick release, then :p

Rapes, murders, hi-jackings, armed robberies (especially cash in transit vans), your neighbor being shot in the middle of the night and so the list goes on.

You wanna try living in Bolton :lol:

What is a good price for a record 405 plane, good condition with all it's cutters? £50 - £60 ?

Matt.

Matt1245":2fxmob31 said:
Should the blade be sharpened straight like a normal plane blade?
Yep.

Matt1245":2fxmob31 said:
What is a good price for a record 405 plane, good condition with all it's cutters? £50 - £60 ?
Depends who's trying to sell it. :lol: I get the impression prices must be depresssed at the moment when Tony Murland is selling one, including p&p, for a mere £80... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Regarding tuning/sharpening the 043, Record recommended sharpening their plough plane blades at 35 degrees, rather than the usual 30, with no microbevel. The Tormek type grinder with a hollow grind at 35 degrees then polished on the leather wheel is ideal. With the older blades stored in the cardboard wallet (1960's), you often find deep pits or pockets of rust in the edge or on the back face, and they may need to be ground a fair way til you get a clean edge.

Back