Record 043

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently won this on Ebay....

record1.jpg

Its a rebate plane (I think). Only needed a touch of fettle to get it working nicely. Price? £5.19 :roll:
I think I'm going to like Ebay......
Any info from the forum experts would be appreciated...(Alf, Roger, Etc...)
I put some more pics at the bottom of the page here..
http://www.philsville.co.uk/photo.htm

Cheers
Philly :D
(who has NO collecting aspirations.................yet :lol: )

Hi Philly,

That is a mini groover a very nice little plane.
It should have 3 cutters, the one I got only had 1 but you can buy set of new ones for £10 from Ray Isles (think thats right Alf?)
There should also be a depth stop which is not in your picture, thats what the screw facing you in the picture is for. Do you have it loose somewhere?

This is a very nice tool for making the grooves for draw bottoms to go into.

Dave,
Yeah the depth stop is missing, think I can sort that out pretty easily though. Only came with one cutter, 6mm wide. Some extras would be handy.
The plane works really well in softwoods (a bit more effort in oak!) and i'm sure it will come in handy at times (after dark when the routers are sleeping :lol: )
Thanks for the info,
Philly :D

Philly,

Ah, everyone's favourite mini groover. :D Good price too. I finally got hold of a depth stop to replace the one long missing from my Dad's #043 a couple of weeks ago - attached to the body, fence and rods of a #043 in fact. No cutter clamp (which you have - well done) or irons, but at a pound I'm not crying... :wink: From experience the depth stop from a Record #050 and a USA Stanley #50 both fit, or a search of the Old Tool archives should find reference on how to make your own (which I never got round to, and now can't find either :oops: ). Check out BugBear's info on them too.

Dave, yep, Ray Iles has 'em.

Cheers, Alf

Back