Record 043 Replacement Parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a Record 043 from Blister, he had picked up from a car boot with the usual parts missing, namely the blade clamp and depth stop.

I thought about it for a while, no point rushing these things, eventually I came up with some solutions.

The blade clamp was cut from some brass with the help from my Startrite 352 and a metal cutting blade. A bit of filing and it fitted, because it was only 1/4" thick I decided to use a 4mm clamp bolt so it was drilled and taped at 4mm. I also drilled and taped a the head of a brass bolt to form the bolt head.

The depth adjuster bolt was missing and I hadn't got a bolt of the right size, so I taped it out to 5mm made another bolt head like the clamp for it.
the depth adjuster was made from some Stainless Steel and some steel bar that fited the hole. I filed a shoulder on a length of bar using my drill press and a file (I need a lathe) and drilled and countersunk a hole in the plate and riveted the rod on.

It only took a couple of hours to do, and I am quite pleased with the results.

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

And finaly my whole fleet of 43s

DSC_0112.jpg

Pete

Nice one! IIRC Bugbear has a measured drawing of the blade clamp on-line, but I see you took the sensible precaution of having one to copy!

Hi, Blister

Thanks mate.

Andy

All I had to do was scribe round one, no measuring needed.

Pete

I really like that Pete! Especially the contrast between the nickel plating and the brass...that puts a lot of thoughts in my head for the future...thanks for that mate!

Jim

condeesteso":1jcjfrtj said:
Three capitalists and one communist makes four. That statement has no political intent, it's just plain counting.

AH! But the black one is a stealth plane!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok....I'll get me greatcoat.... :oops:

Jim

Hi, Chaps

The Russian one annexed the others to form an Iron Curtain between the decadent western capitalist planes in the workshop.

до свидания

:wink:

Pete

Racers":2huc6f6q said:
Hi, Chaps

The Russian one annexed the others to form an Iron Curtain between the decadent western capitalist planes in the workshop.

до свидания

:wink:

Pete

I this a cast iron curtain Pete?

Or is it so secret we have to holdfast on an answer?

:mrgreen:

Jimmi43

You might very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment :wink:

Pete

I've just joined the 043 club as well, but only one (so far). Does anyone know if they made profiled blades for it? I suspect not.

Hi, Fromey

You could make your own blades, some O1 steel and a MAPP torch is all you need.
Or use blades from other plough planes, but if you have other plough planes you could use them.
A set of short fence rods is the first thing to make 7mm (I think) silver steel.

Pete

You can just about get by with a simple fluted shape cutter. I have one or two where a previous owner has ground the 'spare' end like that.
Anything more elaborate is an excuse to go back to your junk shop and have a rummage around!

Latest posts

Back