recommended Uk magazine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Any views please on the best UK published magazine that covers hand tools rather than lots of big machines? I'm out of touch with UK titles having been reading Popular Woodworking for years (though I feel it has changed a bit since Chris Schwarz stepped back).

British Woodworking. Fresh, wide focus, good illustrations, not too much advertising, got a couple of amateurs (Hi Steve!) working for it alongside bread and butter craftsmen. Editorial style is very good, friendly without becoming obsequious and technical without pomposity or hubris.

I also buy the occassional FWW, as the photography is to die for and they do have good ideas, even if some of them are fixing a problem that doesn't really exust! :D

Sam

Thanks Sam - I have availed myself of the 3 issues a fiver deal, in order to get to know it. If there are any others I should re-visit please let me know.

condeesteso":2kfxkijj said:
... the best UK published magazine that covers hand tools rather than lots of big machines?
As ever, a difficult one as what suits one may not necessarily suit t'other. BW is good and is something I have a nose through whenever I'm in WHS, but there as aspects of it that don't appeal. F&C is the one I like as it deals with furniture making (and nothing else) but there are sometimes reviews on machinery, but not as many as there were in the past. A difficult call though, as no one magazine will be 'best' - Rob

Harbo":3h5k6roa said:
I given up with the American ones and now just buy BW and F&C.

Rod
I was leafing through FWW this morning Rod in WHS (as you do :roll: ) and opened FWW. First thing I saw?...some muppets fingers about 50mm from a spinning blade. 'Murricans for ya! - Rob

I could suggest a magazine thats got a fine looking fellow and his work on the front cover of the May issue but then I might get accused of being biaised! :mrgreen:

(That same fellow will be on the front cover of the June issue too :oops: :oops: )

Rob? Seein' as you have the odd article published in F&C (just a slip of a thing really?) could you get Colin - or whoever is editing it these days - NOT TO PUT THE BALLY THING IN A PLASKITATED BAG? I like to check out contents and CHOSE if I want to buy a particlar issue. With three kids at Uni, I, like everyone else, am counting the pennies. To lash out a fiver on an issue, on the basis of the 'hook' line on the front cover, increase the environmental cost by chucking the plaskit wrapper(only 1000 year longevity, remember) and then find that the article doesn't live up to the headline hype of the cover is frustrating ](*,) . At least with BW and GW and any other W you can think of, a quick scan establishes the provenance and usefulness of the future reading and you can buy or reject appropriately.

If F&C come back at me, making a case that 'they can't sell the mag without the support of the advertisers whose catalogue is the necessity for the plastic bag', then that to me is a fundamental statement about the magazine's viability. Which in turn, is a statement about it's content, editorial style and - last, but not least - percieved market.

My God, just proof-read this; I started this with a wee, sly, dig at Rob's preference (he's a smashin' fella Lads, met him once) but I seem to have gone either horrifyingly 'Grim' or deeply philosophical - and it's only Tuesday. :shock:

Sam

SammyQ":1q047i3a said:
Rob? Seein' as you have the odd article published in F&C (just a slip of a thing really?) could you get Colin - or whoever is editing it these days - NOT TO PUT THE BALLY THING IN A PLASKITATED BAG? I like to check out contents and CHOSE if I want to buy a particlar issue. With three kids at Uni, I, like everyone else, am counting the pennies. To lash out a fiver on an issue, on the basis of the 'hook' line on the front cover, increase the environmental cost by chucking the plaskit wrapper(only 1000 year longevity, remember) and then find that the article doesn't live up to the headline hype of the cover is frustrating ](*,) . At least with BW and GW and any other W you can think of, a quick scan establishes the provenance and usefulness of the future reading and you can buy or reject appropriately.

If F&C come back at me, making a case that 'they can't sell the mag without the support of the advertisers whose catalogue is the necessity for the plastic bag', then that to me is a fundamental statement about the magazine's viability. Which in turn, is a statement about it's content, editorial style and - last, but not least - percieved market.

My God, just proof-read this; I started this with a wee, sly, dig at Rob's preference (he's a smashin' fella Lads, met him once) but I seem to have gone either horrifyingly 'Grim' or deeply philosophical - and it's only Tuesday. :shock:

Sam
:lol: :lol: ...suggest you email the ed Sam...PM sent - Rob

SammyQ":2mmtpr4q said:
And I promise to update this august gathering if he replies.... :-" :-"
...which he will do, but in his own good time. Don't hold your breath :wink: - Rob

WHAT A NICE MAN!! This, by immediate reply first thing this morning:

Hello Sam

Thanks for the email. Completely agree with your comments re poly bags - don't like 'em much myself but they do prevent stuff from going missing, which believe me evokes far more response from those who get home only to find they've lost out on something, than the ethics of their use. Rest assured I will bring it up at our next meeting along with your concerns about not being able to try before you buy. For the record I'm with you on that as well. But here's the rub, nobody wants to buy a magazine that has clearly been thumbed through on the news stand regardless of its content. Interestingly, the inclusion of catalogues has little effect on the viability of the magazine.

One of my worst fears is responding in a 'corporate voice', but I do genuinely appreciate feedback from readers, regular ones that is, who might have noticed that Colin is not the name of the current Ed. None taken by the way and if I could work those smiley faces I'd drop one in about now.

However, there's obviously passion in your veins and should you wish to contribute more to the debate or the mag I'd be more than happy to talk.

All the best

Derek

I corresponded a little more with Derek, and I must say, it has reformed my opinion - as fresh information should.

Sam

Wthin reason, a collection of poly bags from magazines can be a useful workshop resource for e.g. padding under clamps, keeping splashes at bay, and holding bits from that thingy you just took apart and will definitely reassemble next week.

Trouble is, I keep adding to the stash until it gets out of control :( .

Frank.

"I keep adding to the stash until it gets out of control "

Lets hope the MoD don't do that just up the hill from you Frank! :-"

Sam

:-D :-D Agreed!

Mind you, if they did pack up and sell off, I wouldn't mind buying thon wee railway to play with in my back yard.....or how many of those bunkers in the walls of the glen would make perfect workshops? - plenty of room there!

Sam

Latest posts

Back