Recommended Measuring Tools (Esp. squares and 45 deg things)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the same tape measure for everything and I have checked all my metal rules, they all agree within 1mm over a meter, so that's enough accuracy for the sort of thing I do. For things longer than 1m. I just use the tape measure.
Measuring tools I find extremely useful are my digital angle finder, digital depth gauge and digital calipers.
I have been looking for a digital ruler, but so far haven't found one. It would be a hook rule with digital readout. I have difficulty resolving 0.5mm marking on a ruler (old age) that would be a very useful tool to have...for me. If anyone can point me in the right direction +/- a degree......
How about this for your digital rule wish. I'm sure Santa would oblige

How about this for your digital rule wish. I'm sure Santa would oblige
Thanks, At that price, I will get one.
Currently for measuring curved things (I do a lot of metal rolling and edge bending), I use Ikea paper rules. I still have a stock from my last visit. That device will be ideal for that.

I got a Starrett 300mm combination square bought from Workshop Heaven. It was the first thing I bought for woodworking.

As @smackie says, it is bang on and I use it for 99% of things. But a year later I found a used 3 piece combination set from Moore and Wright for £20 on eBay. It was a bit grubby but I cleaned it up. The rule (which is metric -Imperial combo) has oxidation stains (don't know how to get rid of that) and some pitting. But comparing it with Starrett, it is built slightly better. The casting is thicker, nicer and heavier, the screw is great and the accuracy is bang on.
Not bad for something that was battered to hell and cost a fifth of the Starrett!

But for small stuff I use a non graduated engineers square, 75mm.

For other measurements I have a Mitutoyo calipers (nuff said!) And an old Moore and Wright micrometer. Plus one 1000mm steel rule but never really used it since I bought it for a fiver at an antiques auction (my mate runs the place!) It looks proper quality though.

I do have a cheap laser measurer for anything larger.

I managed to get a Starrett square that has a 45 degree facility for a fiver off Amazon. Made in China obviously. Sort of wondering how "Starrett" it is :unsure:
Did you double check how many 'r's and 't's it has in its name?

Hi Bill, I really do think you’re fussing about nothing, 1 mm over 600 – does it really matter? you’re not making parts for satellites, also if you keep using the same ruler it really won’t be a problem. Ian
I agree, I mean the wood probably moves more than what's being talked about right?

What's a mm? I use cubits and barleycorns myself...:) Now if the Egyptians could build a pyramid with the point of the elbow to the tip of the middle finger of the outstretched hand...

Attachments

• Lufkin The Amazing Story of Measurement.pdf
    14.5 MB · Views: 9
I can second the Bahco combination square. It’s the most accurate (and cheapest!) I have. My Axminster precision 300mm Square is so far out of square it’s been consigned to the scrap heap.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Nobex Octo folding squares. For a multi angle square they are beautifully made and totally reliable. A metric scale on the lower edge is handy and of course they fold flat to go into a pocket.

Back