Recommended mattresses?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Sleeping Duck are no longer available in the UK. Has anyone any suggestins what to look for/avoid? I'm making the bases so can spend a decent amount on the mattresses. I need two four foot ones, although they will be different - the boss likes memory foam, I loathe it.

I just bought replacement mattresses from the Big Bed Company. They will mix and match in any flavour of mattress so you can have memory on her side and a plank on yours if you like. I used them because the quality is high but mainly because my bed is extra long to suit my lanky frame and wife who migrates all over the place.

Very good quality and service. I am pleased with them. I don't believe in all this "change them every 5 years" marketing rubbish. The last ones were super comfy and lasted 20 years. These will need to see me out!

Hi there

Well we have just gone through this process and spent ages looking at all the various ones available and the sales pitches before making a decision. We soon discounted the Sandra's and such and then before COVID struck we had visited several outlets to feel and try what was out there. One decision we had made early on was to have a sprung mattress with pocket springs and not foam springs or just a lump of layered foam because these should last longer, and we also wanted the edge support so that it keeps shape when sitting on the edge. I have a dodgy back and so was told that springs would provide better support .

We ended up purchasing a Sealy advantage 550 pillowtop mattress from QVC and it is great, meets all requirments.

Ive just finished our new bed. Instead of 2 matteresses (matteri?) I thinned the slats on my wifes side so the bow more. Her side is more forgiving than mine and we both get a good night's sleep.

We tried an Emma mattress before lockdown as our currect mattress was old and sagging. We didn't get on with it as it was much too firm. I think they are a personal thing and what suits someone might not suit someone else. I want to get the Hypnos one that they use in Premier Inn. Always had a good night on those.

I came to the conclusion when we replaced ours a few years ago that there were two options:
  • go to John Lewis where staff generally seem to know the products they are selling. Listen to their advice
  • buy a Premier Inns mattress - they always seem very comfortable to me when we stay there
The alternative is to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to understand the subtleties of design and materials for something you last bought 10 years ago, and won't buy again for another 10.

we used John Ryan (johnryanbydesign.co.uk) - superb, Super king with two different mattresses...
if nothing else - their website is definitely worth reading - and cost was about half of the most similar in John Lewis

I've previously bought an Ikea mattress, with a separate mattress topper - I thought I was buying quality but they did not last more than 4 years before it lost it's shape and support. I then bought John Lewis own brand, the "Natural Collection" made in the UK from natural fibres (cotton and wool) - pocket springs and firm - really excellent, had it 6 years and is as good as the day I bought it. No complaints at all. It was not cheap though.

I recommend John Lewis.

we used John Ryan (johnryanbydesign.co.uk) - superb, Super king with two different mattresses...
if nothing else - their website is definitely worth reading - and cost was about half of the most similar in John Lewis

We are on our second mattress from John Ryan, first one lasted 10 years. Really helpful if you ring them to discuss whet you need.

Get the most springs you can afford. I can`t fault ours for comfort but it weighs an extraordinary amount. I think the foam ones cannot compete with thousands of tiny springs.
We got it from Dreams on a half price ex display deal 8 years ago, still good.

Bensons let you try out the firmness ratings 1—5
They can half it for you if need 2 one side 5 the other
We have spring / memory / gel.
Best mattress I've slept on 2nd to the Premier Inn which you can buy new off their website
Our mattresses was £1200, I don't think you can put a price on a good night's sleep (50p a night in 7 years)

I'm sorry to hear that Sleeping Duck isn't available here now as we've been very happy with ours and would have bought again when the time comes, we've had ours nearly 5 years now and they got orders also from my daughter and BIL shortly afterwards.
When I bought ours we felt it was a bit soft so they immediately sent us a replacement foam section to try and offered to accept a return and full refund if we weren't happy after the 100 night trial.

We have been sleeping on a £200 Ikea memory foam mattress for just over a year now and it is fantastic. Trying to find a foam only mattress that wasn't well into 4 figures was a nightmare so we took a punt on the Ikea, it had a 90 day return policy and at that price even if it only lasted a couple of years it was still a good investment.

No waiting time either, picked it up ourselves.

We have had memory foam for eight years as my wife likes it. Eight years I believe without a decent night's sleep for me. I loathe the stuff. We bought expensive memory foam pillows and binned them the following day, they were so uncomfortable.

We have had memory foam for eight years as my wife likes it. Eight years I believe without a decent night's sleep for me. I loathe the stuff. We bought expensive memory foam pillows and binned them the following day, they were so uncomfortable.

Oh yes, can't stand the memory foam pillows, awful things, but both myself and the missus like a memory foam mattress, not only do we find them comfortable and supporting but without springs they also prevent transfer of movement during the night so you don't feel the other person shuffling etc. Like a lot of things it's a personal preference but I thought others might like a recommendation of the IKEA matteresses, excellent value for money and comfortable.

(side note, it did take a couple of weeks to "break in", it was a bit firm at first, I think from the vacuum packing process. It was still ok to sleep on but not as comfy as the one in the shop that had obviously been well tested. Soon softened up though and now it is really lovely and we sleep very well.)

Back