Recommended Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddsc

Reaction score
Hi all.
My first post, please be gentle :)
I am new to wood turning and have played on a friend's lathe, which has got me hooked. So now I am after my first lathe. I have been advised to get a Coronet Major but don't know what other ones would be suitable.
I don't really want to have to upgrade for some considerable time.
My needs are
1) turn upto 3ft (1m) spindles
2) bowl turning capacity upto 24 inches but preferably greater if possible
3) reversable motor if possible
4) preferably used, not new.
5) budget is approx £750, but the lower the better for my pocket and more for tools etc.

Try to find a Graduate, though it might cost a little more if reversible and I doubt you'd manage 24" diameter on it. Someone with more knowledge of them will tell you. 24" diameter is serious turning, even if only table tops etc. and not full depth bowls. The Coronet won't get anywhere close, and your budget is optimistic for a lathe of that capacity especially if it comes with chucks, faceplates etc. which are expensive.
Actually, re reading your post, if you need a metre between centres that limits your choice even more - you'd need a very long bed Grad, which would cost you even more as they are uncommon. Don't forget that by the time you allow for a chuck and a running tail centre you need more than a specified metre between centres to turn a metre.

If your really lucky you could probably get a wadkin rs lathe for your budget. Theirs one on ebay at the moment. That's what all the big boy production turners use. You would never need to upgrade

It went for just over £6OO with probably another £1OO to ship. Not bad for just about the best lathe made

Union graduate will do all that is required. Get a 3ph machine and convert it to single phase to achieve reverse which is easy.

deema":1ainkzwy said:
Union graduate will do all that is required. Get a 3ph machine and convert it to single phase to achieve reverse which is easy.
+1 on looking for 3 phase bargains.
You can buy a 100 quid VFD and hook it up, its not difficult to do even for a clueless person with no more knowledge than wiring a plug.
Another benefit of VFD/inverters is fully adjustable soft start, which maybe of importance if you only have household sockets and no wish to get 16a receptacles installed.
Starting the motor is the demanding task for your supply, not whilst its running.
If you wish to hog off material, or run very slow feed rates then you may wish to get a better VFD.

I notice no warming of the leads with a 24" bandsaw, or 12" tablesaw with my cheapo VFD's

Apologies to everyone who gave advice for not saying thanks earlier.
I ended up buying a coronet (red) because the wadkin one I had an eye on would have gone through my shed wooden floor, and I'd have needed a crane to get it over the house into the garden.
Then I bought the entire workshop of a man who recently died that included an Elu.
Now I've got two :) .
If I ever get my shed in the front garden with a strong floor, I'll upgrade to a wadkin with a vfd

Thanks for all the advice.

Back