Recommendations to extend wi-fi coverage outside the house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How far out Roger? I recently got the BT Wholehome mesh network system and the signal reaches the bottom of our garden which is about 100ft.

Is that an outdoor unit. I have 4ft thick walls for the internal mesh network to penetrate !

Sadly no. Works through a window but if you don't have any of those in a convenient spot you may need another solution. I think most indoor units would struggle with your walls!

You can buy outdoor wireless access points which you could hard wire to your router if you have a way of routing the cable through the wall?

Something like this.
TP-Link N300 Wireless Outdoor Access Point, Waterproof, Ideal for Garden Wi-Fi, Support Passive PoE, Flexible Installation, Simply Managed by Free EAP Controller Software (EAP110-Outdoor) TP-Link N300 Wireless Outdoor Access Point, Waterproof, Ideal for Garden Wi-Fi, Support Passive PoE, Flexible Installation, Simply Managed by Free EAP Controller Software (EAP110-Outdoor): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I do get a sniff of wifi which, like you, leaks through the windows. I was hoping that I could get an external device that would pick up the 'sniff' and relay/amplify it. It's easier to finesse a mains lead to outside then find a way for an ethernet cable to meander its way through the house. Mind you, the existing mesh repeaters do have an ethernet port or two.

Thanks for the TP-Link suggestion but as far as I can see the s/w to control the TP-Link is ignorant of a certain brand of fruity computers !

I installed a tp-link EAP225 this year. Very easy to install and configure, gives complete coverage over a huge range as it's mostly direct line of sight. I can now mow our 2 acre meadow and listen to streamed audio at the same time.

I installed a tp-link EAP225 this year. Very easy to install and configure, gives complete coverage over a huge range as it's mostly direct line of sight. I can now mow our 2 acre meadow and listen to streamed audio at the same time.

I'm also looking at one of these. The range is quite impressive.

I hope it's OK to post an external link - I found this review,

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...o-gigabit-ceiling-mount-access-point-reviewed
and from what I read - it can be setup in what they call autonomous mode (without a controller - although you do lose the ability to do create a guest wifi) by using an app on your phone to set it up.

The controller software can run on a Raspberry Pi tho - Omada Controller on Raspbian

HIH

Dibs

Hi Roger
earlier this year I installed a ubiquiti unifi AC pro mesh system in the house and 2 of their outdoor dual antenna Units in the garden, I’ve absolutely no complaints with it, we get amazing wifi all through the garden now which was very benefical during the lock down.
my Supplier pre configured everything so I just plugged it all in and hey presto it all worked perfectly, I did have to get a POE switch at the same time to power it all.
ubiquiti do make a unit which can pick up a wifi signal and then extend it, for the life of me I can’t remember what it called

Last edited:
Sorry I should have read the whole thread before posting my reply, as you don’t want to run Ethernet cables, you could get a Ubiquiti nano station which grabs existing wifi signal and then amplifies it

+1 for ubiquity. It’s not about how powerful an access point is but rather what kind of a “heat map” it gives. For example most consumer grade access points will give a reasonably even spectrum 360 degrees around it. This is fine for most people, however sometimes you need to target your heat map a bit more. Ubiquity access points provide both. It’s get pretty technical but this is what I do for a day job :). If you pm me a few details such as a quick sketch of what your are trying to achieve I can def help.

+1 for ubiquity. It’s not about how powerful an access point is but rather what kind of a “heat map” it gives. For example most consumer grade access points will give a reasonably even spectrum 360 degrees around it. This is fine for most people, however sometimes you need to target your heat map a bit more. Ubiquity access points provide both. It’s get pretty technical but this is what I do for a day job :). If you pm me a few details such as a quick sketch of what your are trying to achieve I can def help.
Oh that's really kind of you, thanks. I'll pull something together.

Back