Recommendations of stockists of 80 different woods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shed hermit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello I am hoping that the collective knowledge of the forum may be able to help.
I am trying to source 80 differing species of timber for a birthday present I would like to make for a relations 80th birthday. My idea so far is for pieces about the size of pen turning blanks ( eg 150mm x 25mm x 25mm max) but I want to have the name of each piece for reference and labelling. I have spent many hours on the web and most suppliers seem to be US based so not many native uk timber included.
This was inspired by the tv programme last year featuring a sculpture that was constructed and open to visit in Bristol which was quite bonkers but amazing! I was blown away by the whole idea of timber collecting, compared to my dusty pile of savaged firewood under the bench and in the corners of my workshop!
Cheers for now and any advice
Ben

Are there 80 different woods available in the UK? I would think that was a very tall ask. I would also imagine that once you get past a dozen or two samples the visual differences would become less and less. Happy to be proved wrong mind you.

Stiles and Bates have 36 exotic varieties and 18 homegrown varieties
so just 36 more to find :)
edit: #-o 26 more to find

Off the top of my head...they've missed:

Blackthorn
Hawthorn
Laburnum
Wellingtonia
Plum
Pear
Apple
Damson
Crab Apple
Leylandii
Laurel
Douglas Fir
Scots Pine
Cedar
Bubinga (though that's probably on the exotics list in fairness)
Southern Yellow Pine
Red Oak
Brown Oak (though strictly the same species as the original oak)
Elder
Holly

That's 20...and they're just what I have in my blanks pile so I reckon it can be done. Some ferreting needed mind :)

there is a chap on penturning four who has a huge list of blanks- username lignaterrae or something like that. He is on eBay too, I will see if I can find the username.

Btw you will have to use some exotics, there are only around 32 species of tree native to the uk.

marcros":1ab63kio said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lignaterrae?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 drop him a line- I have never used him, but he has some weird and wonderful offerings, many of which I have never heard of before.

I've used him in the past, good bloke

Came across some Greenheart recently, tool bluntingly hard but nice timber.

Thank you very much.
I had stumbled on exotic hardwoods but haven't priced them up yet. Will definitely give Yandles a shout as pop down there regularly as they have a pretty good craft shop for little'un and do a good piece of cake!
Does anyone remember the timber poster 20+ years ago by Craft Supplies, I think? Do they still exist, can't seem to find them on the web?

Woodmonkey":ity8fozu said:
Btw you will have to use some exotics, there are only around 32 species of tree native to the uk.

In the tree register handbook you can get to seventy common names in the "A"s, "B"s and "C"s alone. These are growing here, not necessarily native, of course. :D As far as natives there are thirty nine species of service tree. :D

My favourite is the Sorbus Admonitor ... the No Parking Whitebeam. :lol:

I wouldn't even bother with exotic hardwoods- selling pen blank sized pieces isn't what they do, so it will work out very expensive, if they can even help you at all.

phil.p":p83lih7b said:
Woodmonkey":p83lih7b said:

In the tree register handbook you can get to seventy common names in the "A"s, "B"s and "C"s alone. These are growing here, not necessarily native, of course. :D As far as natives there are thirty nine species of service tree. :D

My favourite is the Sorbus Admonitor ... the No Parking Whitebeam. :lol:

I did say native, obviously there are hundreds of species actually growing here.
Not sure if having 39 different species of service tree would make for a very interesting wood collection!

Back