Recommendations for wood moisture meters?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
My old man's after a wood moisture meter. I have one somewhere but I don't recall feeling it was ever particularly reliable/consistent. Any recommendations (available in the UK) that aren't crazy expensive?

They seem to be much of a muchness, some have a setting for the type of wood but I couldn’t see much difference with mine, the only thing to be aware of is check the reviews as some of them use power all the time even when turned off and so you need to buy a new 9 V battery every other time you use it, or remember to disconnect it each time. Ian

My old man's after a wood moisture meter. I have one somewhere but I don't recall feeling it was ever particularly reliable/consistent. Any recommendations (available in the UK) that aren't crazy expensive?
I recently bought a Tavool moisture meter for £20 on Amazon. Seems to work just fine. Probably made in China like most things but no complaints. Also measures temperature.

Many thanks all.

Peter - the ATP looks good at £65... until you add VAT... and shipping... and VAT on the shipping...

I picked up a Silverline one, less than £20 but you do have to buy batteries on top. LR44s, easy to get. Search for Silverline Moisture meter. I think silverline is just an importing/ labelling brand so its probably cheap and chinese inside but it works.

It was on my 'mental one day' list and I saw one in the window of a local hardware store in a town I visit once or twice a year. I like to give local shops a bit of business. It was in the 'fires and coalbuckets' section rather than woodworking tools.

Easy to use, does wood (I think 6 to 40%) and brick/aggregate etc 0-2%. Good enough for logs for fire and for turning blanks, may not be to within 1 or 2% but wood can vary by more than that anyway, plus it depends a bit on where you stick the probes*. Handy for self felled timber to judge when it might be ready to turn and when microwave seasoning small items turned green.

It also helped me narrow down where a long term 'weep' on my CH system was coming from, took readings from various places on an internal wall and found the line of highest readings which showed me where to take up a floorboard in the room above.

All in all, excellent for what I wanted but I can see that some might seek a more precise device.

* lesson: if you surreptitiously try to stick the probes into your wife's arm to see her moisture content, there are complaints and consequences.

I have had a couple of the cheap pin type ones. Neither seemed much good. The first one was garbage and broke very quickly.
The other one had a proper chart with different wood species so you could select from a few options for better accuracy but it just never seemed consistent, also it took a stupid sized battery.
I think really you need a proper hygrometer. The Wagner Orion pinless ones are supposed to be the bees knees but not cheap.
I trust Peters judgement if he found the one he linked to be good, and he has compared the readings to something else as well.

Ollie

I have heard that the one lidl sells,when they have it, is surprisingly accurate. Even seem to remember someone on youtube saying they buy a few and give them to clients or supplers, something like that

I bought an Extech dual mode moisture meter last year for use on boats wood & grp, can be used with pins or pinless. Cost was about 40 quid, its been reliable & seems to be accurate. Pretty robust too!

Mine cost £11. Really one is not interested in the actual accurate measurement moisture percentage rather a comparison between the background humidity vs. what you are interested In. By that I mean you don’t think ‘I will accept 15%’ then measure a floor and find 8% in some areas and 14% in others and think it ok. You would want to know why it was different.

Back