Recommendations for tuition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulArthur

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I was very lucky in lockdown to inherit the lathe, tools, and Sorby sharpening thing from a friend’s dad. The only problem is that I couldn’t also inherit his knowledge and skills, and so I’ve mad a hash of everything I have tried so far.

Can anyone recommend a good place for tuition? I’m in the midlands, but very happy to travel - there’s less out there that I can see than there used to be, but there’s still lots around. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of places to go and places to avoid?

If you've the money, try a tuition course, look at several and go for someone whose work you like the look of.

If you're just dipping as toe in, join a local club. Most have beginners classes fairly regularly.

In either case, go to the AWGB site and look under 'Resources'. There is a list of clubs and a list of tutors in map form.

Happy Turning.

PS there's no known cure for the addiction!
Phil

Get a copy of the late, great, Mark Clark’s book. ‘Woodturning - A Craftman’s Guide’. It covers the basics, with lots of good advice,and is very well illustrated by clear photographs.
D.

Hey everyone.
I was very lucky in lockdown to inherit the lathe, tools, and Sorby sharpening thing from a friend’s dad. The only problem is that I couldn’t also inherit his knowledge and skills, and so I’ve mad a hash of everything I have tried so far.

Can anyone recommend a good place for tuition? I’m in the midlands, but very happy to travel - there’s less out there that I can see than there used to be, but there’s still lots around. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of places to go and places to avoid?
Hi,
I am moving down to Tamworth in the next couple of months and will gladly come to you to give you a hand if you can wait that long. I originally trained with Chris Stott who lived local to me at the time. No idea where he is now. You could also join a local wood turning club.
Regards,
Dave

Last edited:
Hi,
I am moving down to Tamworth in the next couple of months and will gladly come to you to give you a hand if you can wait that long. I originally trained with Chris Stott who lived local to me at the time. No idea where he is now. You could also join a local wood turning club.
Regards,
Dave

That would be really amazing. I definitely get on better with seeing people working in person than reading alone…

I’m near Solihull and there’s a bit of a gap around here for woodturning clubs. Nothing between Bromsgrove and Tamworth seemingly…
When is the big move?

That would be really amazing. I definitely get on better with seeing people working in person than reading alone…

I’m near Solihull and there’s a bit of a gap around here for woodturning clubs. Nothing between Bromsgrove and Tamworth seemingly…
When is the big move?
Hi,
I’m going for a hernia op on 9th June so I’m expecting to be down there around July. I’ll let you know when I have a definite date.
Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave, there used to be a club at Water Orton you could check out when you move. I’m nowhere in the league of Paul but I live in Sutton Coldfield so if you want a chat after your move give me a PM.
Cheers

Hi PaulArthur,

I had some tuition some years ago from Kevin in Earlswood

Seems to have hiked his prices somewhat but he is very good and patient. I was also given a lathe and although originally an engineer by trade, this lathework is v different!

Hi PaulArthur,

I had some tuition some years ago from Kevin in Earlswood

Seems to have hiked his prices somewhat but he is very good and patient. I was also given a lathe and although originally an engineer by trade, this lathework is v different!
Thanks
Sadly, I think Covid has cause him to close down. There’s been no movement on his website in a couple of years and a message at the top saying he’s not taking orders.

I can't help with turning, but I learnt cabinetmaking from a guy called Chris Arnold over in Ross on Wye. I have to say I'm an amateur, but a trained one with a good selection of hand and machine tools.

Craig

When is the big move?
Hi PaulArthur,
My op has been put back until the 7th July so I’ll be a little bit longer before I’m recovered but I haven’t forgotten about coming to see you if you still want me to.
Regards,
Dave

Latest posts

Back