Recommendations for small carving tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonidentity

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

my father-in-law has done a bit of small carving with a minimal number of tools; from what i understand he has plenty of straight edge chisels!

I wish to surprise him by purchasing several gouges or "v" shapes or various.

He carves small items - small tables, jewellery boxes and so on.

I understand he has 3 palm size gouges - I suppose they are smallish.

Can any carvers please help with any recommendations and sizes?

Appreciated.

:ho2 :deer

I would like to recommend Pfeil - not cheap but I got a set of 6 from Rutlands ages ago and was amazed with the blade quality, this one:
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/ca ... ---6-piece
£85 but that's really about 13 quid a tool, and if you wait for the next Rutlands deal even less. I also have a Marples set of palm carvers - pretty good and probably less. But those Pfeil are ace.

p.s. just noticed Rutlands still using my review... well it was a five star affair :lol:

Thanks condeesteso,

what I am looking for is info such as:

2mm V
2mm veiners
3mm Gouge
4mm long bent
drake tool

and so on...... Think of "just above starter set."

Thx

So I was looking at these - any ideas?

76 Straight Chisels No 7 - 6mm
84 Straight Chisels No 8 - 4mm
82 Straight Chisels No 8 - 2mm
8L/4 Long Bent Tools - 4mm
7L/6 Long Bent Tools - 6mm
124 Straight V-Tools 60o No 12 - 4mm
126 Straight V-Tools 60o No 12 - 6mm
122 Straight V-Tools 60o No 12 - 2mm
111 Straight Veiners No 11 - 1mm
112V Straight Veiners No 11 - 2mm
115 Straight Veiners No 11 - 5mm

Hoping to reduce the above into a more applicable list - all are Pfeil as I want him to have a decent set

If you have a good secondhand tool shop neaar you you could get some really good old carving tools for a lot less than new which would enable you to buy more for the same money.

Jim

I really like the flexcut range. They are the sharpest tools I have used and really easy to keep honed.

Simon

I would totally endorse the recommendations of Condeesteso as my favourite tools are Pfeil. My first "proper" set was however a set of 6 palm sized Acorn brand (by Henry Taylor I think) and they were good quality for the price (28 years ago though :lol: ). I believe Henry Taylor do some nice micro sets but then most of the recognised brands should do also.

I don't own but have used some of my mates flexicut chisels and as SVB said, I also found them very sharp and nice tools to use. Because they are very thin blades, I have doubts about longevity.

I also bought a job lot of very old chisels including Addis and despite the pitting caused by neglect, the steel takes a fine edge and keeps it.

You pays your money and takes your choice>

Bob

condeesteso":14o18ld0 said:
I would like to recommend Pfeil - not cheap but I got a set of 6 from Rutlands ages ago and was amazed with the blade quality, this one:
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/ca ... ---6-piece

I use Pfeil gouges for instrument carving and for my money they are the ones to go for, if you can afford them, and to be honest they are not that expensive.

I am curious though, mine have the full size handles; how much difference is there between them and the 'medium sized' ones in the above link, which Pfeil market for 'smaller hands'?

El.

Scouse":1gynbqfg said:
I am curious though, mine have the full size handles; how much difference is there between them and the 'medium sized' ones in the above link, which Pfeil market for 'smaller hands'? El.

Standard tools have a handle 135mm long and blade between 110 and 135 whilst the medium tools have handles 115 and blades of only 85mm. I think the handle circumference is the same but not certain.

I would always go for full size tools personally and I often hold the chisels just between my fingers partway down the handles so length doesn't really matter.

The tools I use more than any other are a couple of their fishtail gouges which I find to be very versatile.

Bob

Back