Recommendations for precision guide bush + sub base + router combination

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinBHM

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to use a router with guide bush for some precision work and would welcome some advice.

I've got 3 dewalt 625 and an Elu 96 already so if there is some options for those....it would be my starting point.

I've used template guides for years in desalt routers but to be honest where the guide bush goes in, it doesn't centre very well, sometimes it's half a mm out at least.

Years ago Elu supplied a centring tool that went in the chuck it made in steel, nowadays they are just plastic.

I've tried the Trend unibase, but they are peppered with holes, none of which seem to fit the routers and centre the guide bush.

Maybe I need to buy a festoon router to achieve what I need......

Hi Robin

This is the base of my DeWalt 625 with a leigh bush fitted. Usually used for use on their dovetail jig but can be used anywhere. This bush is adjustable but they sell fixed bushes to fit too. The sub base is 702R, here it is at Axminster Leigh Adaptors for Threaded Guide Bushes and there's a few bushes here Router Guide Bushes - Routing - Power Tool Accessories - Accessories | Axminster Tools

Hope this helps :)

20200926_114341-01.jpeg

Cheers
Andy

Hi Robin. I got a guide bush from Trend and an adaptor from Wealdon to fit my old Elu 177E. Not sure if thats the same as the Dewalt you mention. The holes in the adaptor have no countersink so you can align it with pan head screws. Had to take a touch off the screw heads to keep it flush with the base plate. Still have my old guide to set it up and its perfect for kitchen top joints.

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_114440.jpg
    IMG_20200926_114440.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
" I've tried the Trend unibase, but they are peppered with holes, none of which seem to fit the routers and centre the guide bush. "

Really Robin? I've had two of these and 6 different routers over the years...it took a bit of fiddling, but both my 625 and two 96 clones fitted.

As I think said above, a subbase centring pin/cone is the key to precision: the Dewalt part number is DEWALT DNP617 but all the manufacturers do one (the Festool list price is - needless to say - far above the others!)

I have the Leigh guidebush adaptor 702R that Farmer Giles linked to above, and use it happily with Porter-Cable style threaded guide bushes - centred with the above cone/pin.

Thanks all -great advice.

1. I will buy a metal centring cone -thks Woody2shoes for the part no.

2. thanks Andy for the leigh bush suggestion and image (ps how are you getting on with your PK saw restoration?)

3. SammyQ -yes I could get the unibase to fit, but I couldnt get it fit perfectly, Ill have another look. The plastic moulding doesnt inspire confidence in accuracy TBH

I wonder if this trend sub base fits -it comes with centring tool too -prob plastic though
it does say it fits the elu / dewalt machines

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...XI5Fn6wI2IyJogciGPyG1QAUupA-wP2hoC1dwQAvD_BwE

(ps how are you getting on with your PK saw restoration?)

Hi Robin

It isn't at the moment. I need to finish the kitchen first, I started in July 2019, so she has got a point. If it isn't finished by Christmas then my testicles will replace the furry dice dangling from the rear view mirror in the car.

But I do have a plan, I managed to convince the wife that I could speed up the kitchen build by upgrading my old DeWalt PT. I was hoping to get a 12" BAOS and eventually fit a spiral head but since the last time I looked, BAOS seemed to have gone up about 500 quid. So I've settled on a iTech 300C with spiral head from S&S, more that I wanted to spend but it will work out of the box, no tinkering. So I need to move on some machinery to cover the excess cost. So as soon as I can, I will move one of the PKs from the barn upstairs into the workshop and sell the AGS12. The workshop is full of drawers and doors for the kitchen in various stages of construction, but once I've finished that and have more space I'll hoist the other PK up and start renovation.

I have two sets of quadrant castings for the saws, so machining those up and making the fitting in stainless should keep my busy this winter.

Cheers
Andy

I have the Triton guide bush kit. It is fitted to my Triton router JOF001, the smallest router in the Triton range and not mentioned in the "guide bush fits:" list on their web site. The mounting plate can be left in position permanently and the bushes slot into a depression with no play at all. The only fault I can find is that the bushes are imperial sizes which doesn't help when working in metric.
http://www.tritontools.com/en-GB/Product/Accessories/Router Accessories/TGA001Nigel

Back