• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Recommendations for Articles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
We would like your suggestions for project threads that demonstrate the talents of the UKW membership in the Articles section. This is a feature of the software that creates a blog format for project threads and is a great way to show off the talent within the UKW.

Articles-1.jpg

We added seven random project threads to the Articles section to test the software. If any of the showcased members object, please let us know and we will remove your thread from the Article list.

The Article list entry is a link to the original thread, so any new comments made while viewing the Article are made in the original thread. The only anomaly noticed so far is at least one of the images in the first post of the thread must be hosted on the UKW server, This allows the image to be selected as the Article display image. Having an externally hosted image does not affect the display of the thread when it is opened, but it is not possible to assign an image for the Article display. We are happy to help anyone in editing a post to host the image on the UKW server.

Candidates for the Article list should be representative of all levels of the membership skills, from beginner to expert. The threads should be a work in progress or a completed project that ideally details the design, material selection, material preparation, assembly, and finishing. Please make all recommendations in this thread.

RichardG

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a nice idea. Would it be possible to add a vote/tag to posts so that members could suggest it for an article, similar to the “like” flag. Once a post gets more than so many article votes then it’s flagged up to the mods for inclusion.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Good idea MikeK.

I started a long WIP - in several separate "sections" - about a kids pedal car I'm making. That was before the software change, and frankly, doing it was a bit of a pain (at least in part because of those software limitations).

But I stopped the posts (and the work on the car!) before the change - for a variety of reasons.

But work on the car has re-started, and I'm slowly but surely gathering material for more "WIP". It's NOT ready to post yet, but I'm willing to have a go a bit later on. BUT it would be in several "episodes" if that's OK?

FYI, the car concerned is "kinda based" (i.e. "semi scale") on a 1948 MG TC Midget 2 seater sports (though the kids' version is just single seat).

Interested?

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
@AES yes interested, and we can make the episodes work together.

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
May I suggest we ask @Myfordman for his article on motors? There’s an endless supply of threads on here asking how to power 3ph gear on a domestic supply.

Reactions: AES

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a nice idea. Would it be possible to add a vote/tag to posts so that members could suggest it for an article, similar to the “like” flag. Once a post gets more than so many article votes then it’s flagged up to the mods for inclusion.
This sounds like a good idea, but will require more research on how to implement a solution in the software that is post specific.

May I suggest we ask @Myfordman for his article on motors? There’s an endless supply of threads on here asking how to power 3ph gear on a domestic supply.
There aren't any constraints on what can be recommended. I agree that questions like this come up a lot, but rather than a "how to" instruction set that might not work for all members because of the various code requirements, a "this is how I did it" project would be ideal.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
My thanks it's excellent that you guys are managing to resurrect the sections that have sort of fallen by the wayside. The "post a photo" kinda started as other bits weren't working.
I will have a good look through past stuff and see what I can recommend for inclusion