Recommendations for an ADSL router that logs line errors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Having problems with our ADSL line. Zen have given their usual excellent help (I mean that sincerely...realise it could be read as being sarcastic...Zen are the Tops in my book) but our Open reachcabinet was flooded to the top back in 2007 and the insides are starting to corrode. Have had the Open reach engineer out but Zen tell me that they are still seeing occasional problems although not sufficient this time to keep dropping the line. But as long as we think our connection is OK then they, understandably, won't progress things further with Openreach.

But there's the thing...sometimes sites seem a tad slow. Is it the site? Or is it our line causing errors?

So I thought if I got a router that allowed one to Telnet in and see what the line stats are then I could see if the error rates were bad at that moment in time.

But, here's the thing....I have no idea what routers will provide this. I did get a secondhand Draytek as that looked like a possible option based on some research but the model I have doesn't give that info.

So...any experts out there ?

TIA

Far from an expert but I use a TP link AC750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router Archer D2.
which has logs available from the web interface, no telnetting in. Maybe that does what you need?
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... l#overview

Archer D2.gif

Attachments

• Archer D2.gif
    Archer D2.gif
    227.5 KB · Views: 716
Thanks for the reply, Nev, but I can get those logs also in mine. They''re not the ones I'm after. Here's what I'd hoped to get from my Draytek

line_errors1.gif

Best of luck getting an infrequent and intermittent fault fixed. Something that might indicate a poor contact is if you ring your own number from say a mobile do not answer for a short period clear down and if the the adsl has improved. the higher ringing voltage will have made a temporary better connection and this info could then be passed on to BT.
Note also that wires can be jointed through with 'petroleum jelly filled buttons' to eliminate corrosion .

Just to close off on this. A smart guy on the Draytek forum told me about a hidden extra command that doesn't appear in any of the online documents for the 2820n.

adsl status more reveals all the error counts one could wish for.

Back