Recommendations for a decent 410mm jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive always had a planer thicknesser but its caused so many issues changing from one to the other that im ready to retire it and just use it for thicknessing. Its 410mm and has tersa blades, so ideally id like a jointer with the same capacity and same blade system.
A super long bed would be great (at the moment I think i have 1.8m) The brands I'm currently researching are Wadkin, felder, scm and Martin. Are there any others I should be considering ? Other than the Scott and Sargent website is there anywhere else ?
Thanks
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I recently had a good look at the Hammer 410mm unit and was quite impressed by the build quality. You could look at the Robland units - they produce a shorter bed and long bed unit. I've got a Robland 310mm + Tersa PT and I can't fault it at all. Its very accurate, no issues swapping back and forth although frankly I don't like the design of the fence.

Whitehead Junior made a nice Planer
Occasionally they come up for auction

Mine; a 3 HP single phase, is only 6 inch wide and excellent :)
3 blades too, spares easily found if required
GtWB4jt.jpg

They made much wider models than mine, not sure if they went up to 16 inch though

I dont suppose you would be interested in a Wadkin RZ16?

Its 3 phase mind you?

I upgraded to a 2600mm bed length machine, so the Wadkin got moved around into our assembly shop where its sat for nearly a year. I keep meaning to advertise it, but never get round to it.

Id be sad to see it go really, the RZ is the Rolls Royce of classical surface planers. Silky smooth up and down. rack and pinion fence which has no flex and remains dead square.

In terms of other makes, SCM have a 400mm planer in their range and they come up for sale now and then.

RobinBHM":3bgjq3wy said:

Its 3 phase mind you?

I upgraded to a 2600mm bed length machine, so the Wadkin got moved around into our assembly shop where its sat for nearly a year. I keep meaning to advertise it, but never get round to it.

Id be sad to see it go really, the RZ is the Rolls Royce of classical surface planers. Silky smooth up and down. rack and pinion fence which has no flex and remains dead square.

In terms of other makes, SCM have a 400mm planer in their range and they come up for sale now and then.

Obviously the poster of the thread gets first choice but I potentially would be interested in the wadkin.

mbartlett99":7pgbymuy said:
I recently had a good look at the Hammer 410mm unit and was quite impressed by the build quality. You could look at the Robland units - they produce a shorter bed and long bed unit. I've got a Robland 310mm + Tersa PT and I can't fault it at all. Its very accurate, no issues swapping back and forth although frankly I don't like the design of the fence.
Thanks for that. I'll add Robland to the list of jointers to look at. Mines such a precious delicate flower. It takes hardly anything to majorly throw the surfacing tables out of whack. Then it's a major ball ache trying to remedy it only for it to happen again a couple weeks later. Only issue with thicknessing has been the odd time the drive chain has jumped off. It'll be great as a standalone thicknessor I reckon.
Cheers

Cordy":3kf35xvm said:
Whitehead Junior made a nice Planer
Occasionally they come up for auction

Mine; a 3 HP single phase, is only 6 inch wide and excellent :)
3 blades too, spares easily found if required
GtWB4jt.jpg

They made much wider models than mine, not sure if they went up to 16 inch though
Is that a reasonably new machine ? I'll have a look at whiteheads offerings. I could never not have tersa blades now, so that's one thing that'll have to be present on the new machine.
Thanks

RobinBHM":3n6m7zm1 said:

Its 3 phase mind you?

3 phase would be ok but I'm hoping for a long bed as well. I notice felder do a 2.7 or a 3m. I measured mine today and its 1.9, albeit a flimsy delicate 1.9. Are dedicated surface planers a lot more robust ? I initially thought they must be, but then started to think about blade changing and wondered if it needed the tables to be lifted up out the way ?

Coley
My Whitehead junior was made in 1956
Photo is July 2017 -- only ordinary blades I'm afraid; not tersa

coupster":2qadqblk said:
RobinBHM":2qadqblk said:

Its 3 phase mind you?

Obviously the poster of the thread gets first choice but I potentially would be interested in the wadkin.
Crack on. I'm thinking 6 months down the line at least. Just had a mezzanine floor put in so first need to recover from that, but I think I have the space now for two separate machines.

In my oppinion you should steer away from all surface planers that have each table supporten only at the inner end. In heavy use such tables tend to go out of alignment over time and scraping everything back in line is one hell of a job.

I would look for a machine that has either four separate widely spaced sloping ways carrying each table or some sort of paralellogram movement with four widely spaced points of support. There are plenty of such surface planers floating around on the secondhand market for little money as the big boys want new and shiny and few hobbyists have space enough for such a beast.
Martin and Panhans and Bäuerle and Kölle and Waco and Jonsered are just a few top end brands from mainland Europe that come to my mind.

ColeyS1":31l5hw9d said:
mbartlett99":31l5hw9d said:
Thanks for that. I'll add Robland to the list of jointers to look at. Mines such a precious delicate flower. It takes hardly anything to majorly throw the surfacing tables out of whack. Then it's a major ball ache trying to remedy it only for it to happen again a couple weeks later. Only issue with thicknessing has been the odd time the drive chain has jumped off. It'll be great as a standalone thicknessor I reckon.
Cheers

Can't help think that if you're looking for separate machines just 'coz your one is a pos you might be making a mistake. I treat mine fairly roughly planing big beams and its never gone out of whack swapping between functions.

The Robland is pretty agricultural with its separate tables and their mechanisms - it'd take some serious abuse to knock it out. The newer models like the Felders with one piece lift up tables should be bomb proof. Save some money and get a spiral block!

That's a fair comment. I'm just trying to minimise risk. I have a good thicknesser, just thought trying to find a decent jointer would be easier than trying to find both again. Needless to say, avoid the rojek planer thicknesser. It's been a pain in the bum since day one.

I dedicated jointer sounds like a good plan.

I have a Felder PT and like almost all PTs that the out feed table is movable it goes out of whack. Never got to the bottom of it and Felder are un-interested.

If it were me I would look for one that does have an adjustable hight out-feed table. Even though I mutter about my machine going out of whack I do like being able to fractionally adjust hight. When rough planing with slightly tired knives you need the table a smidge higher than if edging up some boards for a glue up.

Sedgwick do a 16” combination machine. If my MB is anything to go by it will be bulletproof and nothing short of thermonuclear war will cause any of the adjustments to go out of whack. I’d take a look if I were in your shoes although be prepared for something that weighs a lot more than the Rojek!

ColeyS1":1muh1rfy said:
3 phase would be ok but I'm hoping for a long bed as well. I notice felder do a 2.7 or a 3m. I measured mine today and its 1.9, albeit a flimsy delicate 1.9. Are dedicated surface planers a lot more robust ? I initially thought they must be, but then started to think about blade changing and wondered if it needed the tables to be lifted up out the way ?

I have a Kity fixed bed planer, the blades are changed from the top, not as difficult as it may seem once the infeed bed is lowered to its full extent, the only negative is if the thicknesser rollers gum up you have to access them from underneath, take the blades out first, don't ask. #-o

Mike

Beau":aba09t0c said:
I dedicated jointer sounds like a good plan.

I have a Felder PT and like almost all PTs that the out feed table is movable it goes out of whack. Never got to the bottom of it and Felder are un-interested.

If it were me I would look for one that does have an adjustable hight out-feed table. Even though I mutter about my machine going out of whack I do like being able to fractionally adjust hight. When rough planing with slightly tired knives you need the table a smidge higher than if edging up some boards for a glue up.
That's one the things with the rojek that takes a lot of time. It's very difficult to adjust the outfeed where as on every other machine I've had it was just a case of rotating a knob. In theory the outfeed should never need adjusting cause of the tersa blade system, but reality proves otherwise.

memzey":2vknxywx said:
Sedgwick do a 16” combination machine. If my MB is anything to go by it will be bulletproof and nothing short of thermonuclear war will cause any of the adjustments to go out of whack. I’d take a look if I were in your shoes although be prepared for something that weighs a lot more than the Rojek!
I've got a sedgwick spindle and it hasn't missed a beat since I've had it. I'll add sedgwick to the list- much appreciated.

MikeJhn":yjk1kxr5 said:
ColeyS1":yjk1kxr5 said:

I have a Kity fixed bed planer, the blades are changed from the top, not as difficult as it may seem once the infeed bed is lowered to its full extent, the only negative is if the thicknesser rollers gum up you have to access them from underneath, take the blades out first, don't ask. #-o

Mike
Sounds like you've been bitten a bit.

Back