Recommendations for a 6mm mortice chisel.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Apart from the Narex, can anyone recommend a good brand of Mortice chisel. Do Asley Iles do one?

Peter T":whps0sb6 said:
Ray Iles English Pattern Mortice Chisels.

I have several and they are brilliant.

Good luck,

Where can these be purchased? My searches keep turning up american websites.

James C":207simgo said:
Peter T":207simgo said:
Ray Iles English Pattern Mortice Chisels.

I have several and they are brilliant.

Good luck,

Where can these be purchased? My searches keep turning up american websites.

Ray Iles runs the Old Tool Store in Lincolnshire. It has a minimal web presence here: http://www.oldtools.free-online.co.uk which does list prices for mortice chisels - but if you want to purchase, phone up and talk to him.

He also has an eBay shop - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Old-Tool-Store which lists green woodworking tools. Workshop Heaven sell most of the Ray Iles chisels, but not, apparently the mortice chisels.

To the OP - as you are in Bristol you have the option of visiting Bristol Design on Perry Road and taking your pick from a large selection. (I seem to be saying this rather a lot lately - I have no connection except a desire to see a long established pioneer of old tool selling stay in business where I live.) You might pay a bit more than on eBay - or indeed, a lot less for some things - but you can see exactly what you are getting.

I called the Old Tool Store and spoke to a nice lady who said they were sending most of them to the US, but if I told them what I wanted, they would be happy to supply them to me.

If I remember correctly they were thirty odd quids each, and well worth every penny!

I bought a set of Narex mortice chisels from WH - fantastic tools - transformed my mortices (compared to doing them with cheap bench chisels) - really nice to use ... and not serious wallet damage for what you get.

TobyB":bqdq3o1r said:
I bought a set of Narex mortice chisels from WH - fantastic tools - transformed my mortices (compared to doing them with cheap bench chisels) - really nice to use ... and not serious wallet damage for what you get.

Pays to read OP he said apart from Narex. I do actually really rate mine but I can understand why they aren't to everyones taste. I think I might be going for one or two of the Ray Iles the next time I need a new size of mortice cut.

Another vote for the Ray Isles chisel. Bought a set from the Old Tool Store and I haven't looked back.

The combination of them and the Chris Schwarz method of using the next size down chisel and then cleaning up to the marking lines has worked so well for me.
Simon

I looked at the Ray Iles chisels on the Old Tool Store, well, I say 'looked'. There wasn't a picture and you can't buy direct from the website :roll:

I also read a review a glowing review by Chris Scwartz, that stated that out of the six chisels he had "One of the narrow chisels (that 1/4" again) was ground initially out of square, and one of the larger tools (the 7/16") had some chips in its edge. Both of these needed a brief trip to the grinder before honing" - slightly off-putting.

But they did look like the only old fashioned mortice chisels. Most of what I've seen have been registered chisels which seem a lot less substantial.

scubadoo":323p9aj3 said:
Just got this one for £13 including postage. Let's hope it's a good one!
Which one? Where is it?

PS I see the link now! Yes looks a goodun and a good price. Though sometimes even cheaper.

scubadoo":1olevags said:
What do you think, is this a good one?

Can't fault older Marples mortise chisels, and the one you've bought is of the same type as those I've been using for the past four decades.

The chisel has just arrived, looks good apart from a mark/indentation half way down that almost feels like it's two lengths of steel joined together.

is this ok?

DSC_2291.jpg

DSC_2287.jpg

Looks like someone has ground away a previous owner's name or mark.
It's probably cosmetic. It shouldn't be a problem until you have had the chisel for so long, that the cutting edge is up to that mark. Then it will then reduce the chisel's width of course. But I think that will be a few years away yet. :lol:

I don't really know what it would look like if it is two pieces joined together, but if so, then the heat treatment might have been affected.

I'm not a metalworker, but RichardT might be along to give you some idea. :)

Back