Recommendations for a 6mm mortice chisel.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be the case that the anomaly is in fact due to there being two different types of steel forge welded together, it was done quite a lot with plane irons many moons ago. The harder and more expensive tool steel at the business end would be welded to a cheaper, softer steel further up the blade.

Cheers
Aled

It doesn't look like a weld to me - as John says, more likely "creative" grinding and not a problem.

As long as the back, er, front ..... flat side is free from rust pits close to the end it should be fine. :)

scubadoo":3bmfpur1 said:
The chisel on the left here looks to have the same thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360402762858? ... _500wt_922

None of mine (Mostly Marples and Sorby) have scarring as such and they don't tend to unless a ding is created after purchase. The mark you indicate does look like someone's rubbed the back/spine of the blade across a sharpening stone during the sharpening process and isn't too uncommon. The same mark is on every chisel blade I've sharpened at one time or another. :)

I've got a Marples mortice chisel with a score through the name which I take as indication that it was a "second". In fact the hard laminate in the face is slightly detached from the soft back; just a hair line crack. Could be yours was similar and somebody has removed the evidence?

GazPal":uk0gjat2 said:
scubadoo":uk0gjat2 said:
The chisel on the left here looks to have the same thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360402762858? ... _500wt_922

None of mine (Mostly Marples and Sorby) have scarring as such and they don't tend to unless a ding is created after purchase. The mark you indicate does look like someone's rubbed the back/spine of the blade across a sharpening stone during the sharpening process and isn't too uncommon. The same mark is on every chisel blade I've sharpened at one time or another. :)

Just to correct myself. I've just checked through my mortise chisels and found one (Marples) with identical marks 3" down from the ferrul on three sides of the blade. It's never been an issue, or I'd have noticed before now and - in all honesty - by the time the edge is approaching that section of the blade you'll be out of hard steel.

Latest posts

Back