Recommendation for the Strongest Epoxy Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My go-to tube(s) of epoxy glue have finally run out, which I use for repairs of all types - not just woodworking stuff.

I previously had the Araldite Standard tubes, but this time I'd like to get the strongest stuff I can find. I'm not concerned about curing time - it can be long or short.

Any recommendations please, on the strongest glue (I assume epoxy) you have used?

Thanks!
S

Zap or West Systems are usually the ones I go for. Usually easy to find on amazon/ebay. And the longer the curing time the stronger they are (and the less flexible).

Loctite Hysol 9462, used it for strong joints on model jet aircraft, in highly stressed areas, never let me down or failed in any way.

Try the stuff from Poundshop it's clear and I have never had a fail.
"Strong" is a bit subjective as the weakness is the material or surface in my experience, not the glue.

My buddy told me about the stuff they have at work for aircraft but I doubt you want to spend $75+ for a small tube. You need to pick and epoxy and go to their website and see what the properties are. Larger companies like Araldite, Devcon, 3M etc., usually have an extensive range of glues for a number of purposes. Then you can make an informed decision.

Pete

gmgmgm":3mftluhc said:
Zap or West Systems are usually the ones I go for. Usually easy to find on amazon/ebay. And the longer the curing time the stronger they are (and the less flexible).

The Zap glue looks like a good value for money/strength trade off.
How have you used this in the past? were you happy with the results?

The West System looks good too - not sure I need such a large volume though - will look a little more for smaller containers.

Thanks Phil, how would you describe the viscosity? I want something that won't run/dribble.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sammy.se":c64wab0d said:
gmgmgm":c64wab0d said:

The Zap glue looks like a good value for money/strength trade off.
How have you used this in the past? were you happy with the results?

The West System looks good too - not sure I need such a large volume though - will look a little more for smaller containers.

I've used the Zap 8-hour and 30-minute in the past. The 8-hour epoxy is currently holding ~6 inches of edge on a racing ski (hit a rock badly), and has been for a few years. So yes, it's pretty tough!

Hi All,

I must admit that I put off buying some epoxy (I'll try the Zap stuff recommended above), but I saw some in Lidl the other week and got some.

They had two types (syringed) - quick set, and extra tough. £1.99 each, so I thought it's worth a punt.

Tried the extra tough stuff yesterday and very impressed. Dried clear and glossy, and so far holding up very well on some plastic headphones I had to repair.

Just fyi in case anyone was passing by Lidl.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've bought the zap stuff in place of the normal araldite, or two syringe type ones. It's very good. A tip I learned from here is after a couple years you may notice the glue kind of crystallises in the bottle. If you put it in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time it will return to normal consistency and hopefully last until the entire bottles are used up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":1nlnnyq0 said:
I've bought the zap stuff in place of the normal araldite, or two syringe type ones. It's very good. A tip I learned from here is after a couple years you may notice the glue kind of crystallises in the bottle. If you put it in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time it will return to normal consistency and hopefully last until the entire bottles are used up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

also make sure to hide it from kids and wives :lol:

Latest posts

Back