Recommendation for security cameras

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks for the clarification. Which Arlo do you have ?
I've got the Arlo Ultra 2 cameras plus the base station (which is required). I have the app on an Ipad and on my phone, you can view stuff and control it all when you are on the same wifi network. I only pay for the cloud service if I'm going to be away for an extended time. There are ways to access the main unit and SD card remotely through port fowarding and VPNs but I haven't tried it yet.
Pros: wifi so no wiring needed.
good quality cameras (very good)
good battery life (several weeks)
Cons: glitchy app although it seems better after a couple of updates.
not huge wifi range but then we do have a big house and very thick walls, just about managing with TP link setup.
appalling customer service.

So it fails then at providing any evidential material since it is all in the camera which if it gets nicked .....
True, but that camera is about 15-20ft up a tree so that's a physical deterrent to the camera getting stolen. I see it more as a deterrent along with other cameras I have.

Does it work? Who knows? I've not been burgled.
DSC02102.JPG
DSC02092.JPG
DSC02093.JPG

I've been using Hikvision for about 6+ yrs now. Not cheap I know but it has the capability to do everything you might ever need for evidence and peace of mind. When I purchased mine Hikvision was mainly for commercial but now they have a home user range with the same capabilities as the commercial range and more DIY friendly.

True, but that camera is about 15-20ft up a tree so that's a physical deterrent to the camera getting stolen. I see it more as a deterrent along with other cameras I have.
But if it's that high up then you are reliant on the scrote looking upwards.

I've been using Hikvision for about 6+ yrs now. Not cheap I know but it has the capability to do everything you might ever need for evidence and peace of mind. When I purchased mine Hikvision was mainly for commercial but now they have a home user range with the same capabilities as the commercial range and more DIY friendly.
Trouble with Hikvision is that they are a bit like Samsuns, Sony, Panasonic et al. Constantly bringing out new models so the model numbers available are different every hour (or so it seems like) and it's damn hard to actually find exact details on them.

It wouldn't make much difference around here - you could take the recording to the plod and give them the scrotes name and they'd still just give a crime number. I gave them the video of the guy who drove through my garden wall (and drove off without stopping after checking no one was watching) along with details of his company van and after four day a WPC rang me to say they didn't understand what I expected them to do.

Not really. All three of the lot I posted earlier were positively identified by police from that image/position. None of them even saw the camera.
Were they already known to the police ? I suspect that that would have made identification easier...

It wouldn't make much difference around here - you could take the recording to the plod and give them the scrotes name and they'd still just give a crime number. I gave them the video of the guy who drove through my garden wall (and drove off without stopping after checking no one was watching) along with details of his company van and after four day a WPC rang me to say they didn't understand what I expected them to do.
You and me both. Unless it involves using Blues and Twos our police couldn't give a f***. Lost all respect for them based on personal circumstances.

"...a WPC rang me to say they didn't understand what I expected them to do...." Your job ?

Were they already known to the police ? I suspect that that would have made identification easier...
Yes, known to the police but also easily identifiable from that angle. In my experience, it's hasn't been "have a go heroes" that have tried to gain entry, they're professional and already known. Police have been very good with me in terms of dealing with the situation so can't complain.

Ive had two different Vivotek NVR powering 6 Vivotek cameras of various models via Poe, for the last 10 years.

Works for me, but I haven't tried anything else.

I’ve got various Arlo cameras with the base station. They’ve done a grand job over the last couple of years.

You can also convert old phones to plug in security cameras but that doesn’t help you at all

Back