Recommendation for security cameras

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodieallen

Established Member
Reaction score
As above. Requirements are:

Good definition.

External

Good night-time performance (no street lights out in the sticks)

Battery operated with ability to recharge from solar panels

Wi-fi

Multiple cameras ...minimum 4

Local recording - ideally able to view remotely...eg if away from the house

All suggestions gratefully received.

ducks.jpeg

I think Shed9 is pointing you toward Swann.

I have 3 Ring cams at the minute. One is the doorbell - ultra useful to avoid missed parcel deliveries. Battery lasts about 2-3 months with limited LIVE views (that burns the battery much quicker).

One is wired internally pointing out of a windows and one is high mounted and powered by a solar panel. Never drops below 80% charge from the solar panel.

All wifi , all record back to Ring. Accessible from PC or phone / tablet. Have a live view and motion activated recording.

Works great for me. Cost is £8 per month for the Ring recording.

One downside is that there is no easy way to view all cameras simultaneously.

My son in law uses the Arlo system. I think he has about 10 cameras scattered about the property, inside and out. They get alerts on their phone if any motion is detected. It seems to work very well.

I also have 3 Ring cameras, a doorbell and 2 flood lights around the back. They don’t meet all your requirements but they are very easy to install and operate and the videos are stored in the cloud so accessible anywhere.

Instant retreaval isn’t always easy depending where you are but it is stored. Never had a problem with them in 3 years and it even reminds you to charge the doorbell when it’s low.

I'm afraid that Ring, Arlo, Nest etc all fail the local recording requirement. Our upload bandwidth is way, way too low.

Consider looking at live view trail cameras. They are robust, high quality, operational in low light, built to be fitted externally long term with battery and have local storage with the better ones having live view. Depends if you want an obvious deterrent or not. Just another option to consider.

The geese up there ^ was serious. The best security systems I've ever had has been geese or ducks.

You could look at the Reolink Argus range - external, local SD card recording, and can be powered via solar.

https://m.store.reolink.com/
Don’t have hands-on experience with them but I’ve come across them while looking into security cameras.
Many thanks for that link. Not come across them before

Consider looking at live view trail cameras. They are robust, high quality, operational in low light, built to be fitted externally long term with battery and have local storage with the better ones having live view. Depends if you want an obvious deterrent or not. Just another option to consider.

The geese up there ^ was serious. The best security systems I've ever had has been geese or ducks.

I know that geese are very good deterrents. It's the lack of remote access that's the problem !! I have a trail camera and TBH not impressed with the video quality especially at night. It's a Bushnell IIRC.

I've got Bascom systems. Budget ought to be £2k for what you're after. Good system almost pro but requires DIY install. Good support too.

That's another good link, thank you and well within budget.

The Romans thought so too.

Consider where your cameras are to be located. If they are all high level, then the only view you will get of Billy Burglar will be the top of his head, face screened by the peak of his baseball cap - not much use for ID evidence at court!

A covert camera at face level is good. As long as it doesn't impact on neighbours privacy it should be ok. It needs to be covert so that Billy doesn't smash it when preparing the job. An overt camera at a higher level is helpful as a deterrent.

I have a hardwired Reolink system, not quite what you are looking for but they have been very good.

https://reolink.com/gb/
I also use hardwired Reolink and have them recording to a Synology NAS using a it’s in built surveillance system. Wi-Fi cameras can too easily be blocked. If your bandwidth is very low are you going to be able to monitor remotely anyway?

Back