Recommendation for a good air compressor and brad nailer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good compressor (reasonably quiet). I liked the look of the Ace&K angled brad nailer but didn't know which of the many compressors out there to go for. Wanting something reasonably compact that will fit under the bench - 10L or so maybe.

Ta.

Digizz":1brcjbq9 said:
Can anyone recommend a good compressor (reasonably quiet). I liked the look of the Ace&K angled brad nailer but didn't know which of the many compressors out there to go for. Wanting something reasonably compact that will fit under the bench - 10L or so maybe.
Hi

Domestic use - I bought one from Screwfix for £90 compressor, brad nailer, blow gun. spray gun, tyre inflator all included. Had it since Xmas and I'm very happy with it.

For commercial use, everyone I know in the tool hire trade rates the Ace & K brand.

Dave

Hi digizz,

I bought a Cosmo nail gun and compressor a while back. I can recommend the nail gun which can be picked up for £25-50 - nicely made, doesn't mark the wood, has never jammed - and just feels like it should cost more. The compressor I would love to change but it does the job. It doesn't have a regulator - so even though it has a 10l tank it stays on all the time and is noisy. And there's no output pressure reading.

Personally if buying again I would get the best compressor I could afford - but would happily buy the same brad nail gun. Wish they do others in the range.

Cheers

Gidon

ps - here's a Cosmo nail gun on ebay for £20. But it's the one which does staples as well - when I compared this to mine - it didn't look quite as good - in build.

evening...

Quick question, have read a fair bit about compressors and nailers on the forums last hour or so, have a general idea of which way I need to go now..

any one any experience of this

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php?s ... =MAKAF503X

think its pretty much where I need to be at, but wanted to check out if anyone knew anything about it...or more importantly, if there is something better in the market with similar specs and a better price/quality..

thx in advance...all help much appreciated as ever!

biglouie":2020u1lz said:
evening...

Quick question, have read a fair bit about compressors and nailers on the forums last hour or so, have a general idea of which way I need to go now..

any one any experience of this

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php?s ... =MAKAF503X

think its pretty much where I need to be at, but wanted to check out if anyone knew anything about it...or more importantly, if there is something better in the market with similar specs and a better price/quality..

thx in advance...all help much appreciated as ever!

It's 18 guage, do you need 18g? I've got a 16g and an 18g but the 18g hardly gets used, and it's harder to get 18g brads. Both my guns were Rexon, I think I paid under £30 for each of them. I bought a wolf 25ltr 1.6 hp for under £40 it's ok for the nail guns but would be hard pressed to run anything that needs volume i.e. a sander.

hi, thanks for the reply..

gauge wize, I am sure 16 would be fine now you mention it.

The size of the compressor and output was really a future proof measure incase I wanted to use it for other tools other than a nailer at a later date..

as its home worshop use and not professional use, I am likely to want to use it for other jobs..

Maybe a dumb question but are 18g nails thiner than 16g. Standard wire gauge gets thinner as the numbers go up (16g = 0.064" and 18g = 0.048").

George

I can recommend the ace + k nailers as I have a 16 gauge angled and a straight 18 gauge.
I also have a Dakota framing gun which I got from rutlands which is also very good.
My compressor is a large fixed unit which lives in the garage but a couple of friends have the compressors from rutlands which seem to be very good.

Mike

i have found ace+k nailers great in many of their types, and i use an SIP compressor.

you really need a pro unit, with a continuous power rating, and the ability to run 8 bar consistently, but check whether you are happier with an
oiless or not one too.

my experience with the after sales service at ace+k is also good.

just to promote my mates, i found the service from jaycee in northolt
educated, well priced, and sensible delivery.

paul :wink:

I have the axminster 25lt compressor, cosmo 18 gauge nailer/stapler and Rockport 16 gauge nailer from B&Q. The rockport hasn't seen much use, but the cosmo is excellent. If noise is an issue, go for the bigger capacity tank as it takes longer to empty, thus not needing to be filled as frequently. IMHO, most compressors are about the same noise level unless you spend big bucks.

Dicky

I bought one from B&Q about four years ago, compressor and nail gun which fires 20-50mm brads. Cost £95.

At a rough guess I have put about 15,000 brads through it with about two jams, for that price I can not fault it. B&Q have had a similar unit on offer recently for £54 pounds, worth looking at in my opinion.

Les

les chicken":3rdumlis said:
I bought one from B&Q about four years ago, compressor and nail gun which fires 20-50mm brads. Cost £95.
Snap! I've used mine to drive 18g brads - it still works although I recently acquired a better brad nailer. The compressor has also stood up to being used on customer sites for trim carpentry and even to driving a deWalt D51845 Full Round Head Framing Nailer on a couple of fencing jobs. It gets a bit breathless, but it just about manages to keep up - and I haven't killed it yet! Amazing for a cheap piece of kit (I believe the compressor's Italian)

Scrit

it seems that they have changed the specs of the B&Q compressor kits, and most would not be considered pro in their usage ability.

they need to be used for a while, then left to cool down, and then re-started. whereas those with tanks offer a constant running capability.

paul :wink:

The units from B&Q for £54 do have tanks fitted and include the brad nailer, tyre inflator, blow gun and paint spray IIRC.

Les

I bought the clarke bandit because i had my dewalt nail gun nicked and needed to do some fast pinning jobs , it was cheaper to buy the bandit with the nailgun than it was to buy the nail gun :shock: Im glad i bought it now as its easy to take on site for detail work . Im pleased with it as i bought it as a cheap tool to do one job . Machine mart are selling the for about 80 quid .

just an update. I bought the Clarke Warrior air 30 (230v) from Machine Mart. 8,7 cfm, 10 bar, 24 litre.I also bought the Air gun kit from Clarke. Fires 18g up to 32mm.

I am really pleased with the performance to date. The compressor handles spraying for primer well and the nail gun, well, it nails, nice and clean, good depth etc. Easy nice fit into the hand.

I bought a swivel knuckle for the back of the air gun and the quick release coupling fotr all the connections which has made setting up and moving if necessary really easy. Few pounds extra for the quick release, but it helps keep things flexible on speedy for switching etc.

Anyway, I would recommend it after a week or so usage.

Just thought I would feedback :)

Ace & K we have 16 gauge and there monster framer all are fine nailers we have them in the workshop … also for very fine work the omer range are very good !.

I have a 25l sip compressor in my garage that I use occasionally for nailing and inflating things. Boy is it loud. If I was using it regularly I would invest in a quiet compressor. They are not as inexpensive as the little ones but they are not super expensive either. Hearing omfort would win over price. Or you could just buy a cheap one and wear earphones

Back