Recommend reading material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon C

Established Member
Reaction score
I did a small amount of turning during my apprenticeship in the early 90s. A few months ago, I got a mini lathe and would appreciate any recommended books. Anything turning related, I’m not a total newb but there is a lot of learning to be done.
I’m a bit burned out with watching videos so an actual book(s) would be a nice change, especially in the current situation.

I started out about 9 months ago, Woodturning, a foundation course by Keith Rowley was very useful, a bit pedestrian perhaps but I kept coming back to it as a sort of reference book when things weren't going well.

It's a pity public libraries are closed. I borrowed several (probably Cambridge County Library entire range, about 6) and found some good for ideas, some pretty worthless and some seemed written to encourage tool-buying. Having said that, it was worth borrowing each one for 3 weeks just to pick out the bits I found interesting, which will of course vary from person to person.

If you like reading, you could get Woodturning magazine. I picked up a copy for about 6 months, some relevant content but decided not to get a subscription.

Jon, you will find Phil Irons’ “Two- in-one Manual” very informative, its shows projects and links them to the appropriate technique(s) for using.
ISBN 1-84902-243-5

Dave

Latest posts

Back